Amp left on for a week..........what damage ?

What's Hot
DominicDominic Frets: 16095
edited June 2022 in Amps
Mistakenly left a good quality amp on whilst away for a week ....still on when I got back
plugged in and its going ' chrrrrrrr,ghrrrr,zhaaaa '
What have I done ?.........is it likely to be just a pre-amp valve ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    Properly designed amp: no problem.

What amp is it?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631
    I agree with IC, no half decent design would be fazed in the slightest. Fork! Many 'stooodio' nutters leave their rigs powered up forever!

I consider that totally stupid, no technical reason for it and it is very bad for the planet.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7212
    Dominic said:
    plugged in and its going ' chrrrrrrr,ghrrrr,zhaaaa '

Does it have an integrated spring reverb?
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24802
    Dominic said:
    What have I done ?
    Probably spent the equivalent of a Dumble on electricity…
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    Dominic said:
    What have I done ?
    Probably spent the equivalent of a Dumble on electricity…
    and kept the whole house warm
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    ICBM said:
    Properly designed amp: no problem.

What amp is it?
    One of those cheap CARR amps !!!!!
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12900
    Dominic said:

What have I done ?...
    To add insult to injury you could've probably bought a new amp with the additional electricity costs... 
    does it really cost much to have an unused valve amp switched on ?
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1937
    Dominic said:
    You're still heating the valves even on standby. In fact that's what the standby does so you don't have to re-warm them up if you take a break from playing. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Dominic said:

One of those cheap CARR amps !!!!!
    Doesn't mean it's properly designed - I can think of at least one other expensive amp brand which I wouldn't want to leave on for that long, and which I also wouldn't say was properly designed. I'm not familiar with Carr, but a lot of amps run the power valves so hot that a week (168 hours) might be a significant fraction of the valve life expectancy. Temperature rise inside the chassis could be an issue too, I had a Mesa Trem-o-verb which got to 85ºC inside after a few hours, with no sign of it stopping rising. (I was monitoring it with a thermocouple probe poked through one of the jack holes, because I was concerned how hot it got.) That's about the temperature at which some components, especially electrolytic caps, start to have very shortened life expectancy.

I once left a 60s Vox AC4 on for several days too - they don't have a pilot lamp as stock - and it was perfectly fine afterwards.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12900
    Dominic said:
    I think a 100W amp will draw "something like" 30W when idling and 150W at full pelt. 

Its not a huge amount, but at the current price of fish... 

UnclePsychosis said:

I think a 100W amp will draw "something like" 30W when idling and 150W at full pelt. 

More than that. A cranked 100W amp can draw up to about 400W - old Marshalls are labelled 375W.

At idle, just over 100W - the power valve idle dissipation alone will be around 60W (4x 15W), plus a few watts for the B+ chain, plus the valve heaters.

On standby, about 50W - four EL34 heaters at 1.5A plus three 12AX7s at 300mA, at 6.3V is 44W, plus a small amount of loss in the PT, and the pilot lamp!

Something like a Fender Twin has a few more preamp valves but the 6L6 heaters draw less than EL34s, so it will work out about the same.

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7212
    I once cooked a whole chicken in 6 hours with nothing but a 100W tungsten bulb.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Dominic said:

Bit more than that chuck. Heaters draw 37W (EL34s) and a 'coolish' 25mA bias and 450Va gives a total of 85-90W

Dave.
    BillDL said:
    I once cooked a whole chicken in 6 hours with nothing but a 100W tungsten bulb.
    Bill Grylls ......or should that be Grills
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4917
    Hi-Fi amps are designed to be left on permanently.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    prowla said:
    they'll be banned soon then
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7860
    I leave my Hifi power amps (monoblock) permanently plugged in and turned on.  They’ve not been off for at least three months. 

It’s the powering on and off that kills components (especially valves), 
    prowla said:

Not so. They may be  sufficiently well designed and made that they will survive for years but there is no evidence that I know of that there is any benefit to 'cooking' them.

If a transistor amplifier does not reach stable operation and specified distortion within ten seconds of power up it is a bad design.
    Valve amps produce SO much more distortion than even mid market transistor hi fi that their thermal gymnastics hardly matters.

"On and off" buggers valves? Radios regularly lasted over a decade before needing attention and were switched off every night. Then it was usually the caps that blew. You could NOT kill those old 6V6s!

Every WMC had a 50W PA amp in a cupboard for the Saturday night bingo and other functions. Those KT66s gave 20 years of faithful service. How 'king long do you WANT the valves to last?
    Some here are not old enough to KNOW how long valves last!

Dave.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9532
    It’s a Carr.

End of. Rock solid.