MIDI bass foot keyboard

What's Hot
I'm looking for a good introduction to using a MIDI bass foot keyboard and analog bass synth. I'm considering something like the Ketron K8 or Studiologic MP-117 with one of the low cost Behringer synths (e.g. TD-3).

My main use would be to play simple bass lines with my feet while playing guitar.

Is there an idiots guide to using this type of tech?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14471
    one of the low cost Behringer synths (e.g. TD-3).
    Be advised. The TD-3 excels at acieed squiggles and bleep bloop riffs rather than traditional Moog Taurus II floor rumbling antics.

Of the Behringer range, I would be more inclined to recommend the PRO-1 or Model D.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1690
    one of the low cost Behringer synths (e.g. TD-3).
    Be advised. The TD-3 excels at acieed squiggles and bleep bloop riffs rather than traditional Moog Taurus II floor rumbling antics.

Of the Behringer range, I would be more inclined to recommend the PRO-1 or Model D.
    Good to know - thanks
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4929
    Pedals (MIDI controllers):
    • The Roland PK-3A is a fine MIDI pedalboard, easy to use and very flexible.
    • The Keith McMillen 12-Step is a MIDI pedalboard, but you need the USB-MIDI converter add-on to use it with the MIDI (round pin) connector and you need a computer to configure it.
    MIDI Synths:
    • The Moog Minitaur is a great little bass synth (but don't expect the high notes without an octave pedal); you need a computer to program it.
    • The Behringer Model D is a really fun, cheap copy of a MiniMoog, but it doesn't store presets.
    • The Novation Super Bass Station has some good sounds in it, but it's complext to configure.
    • The Roland JV-1010 is a nice little handy-sized MIDI synth with a lot of sounds in there.
    (I've got all of the above.)
    Thanks @Funkfingers @prowla ;

I bought the Studiologic MP-113. I'm glad I went for the MP-113 and not the 117 as even the 113 is bulkier than I expected. For now I'm playing it through an ancient Technics SX-KN901 keyboard, which works well but would mean more complications for playing live. If I ever get to that stage I'll invest in a small synth box.

All I need to do now is get my hands and feet to operate independently. 
    ;) 
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    if you have an ipad  / iphone - look at this https://www.moogmusic.com/products/minimoog-model-d-synthesizer-app ;
    JMP220478 said:
    if you have an ipad  / iphone - look at this https://www.moogmusic.com/products/minimoog-model-d-synthesizer-app ;
    Interesting - I'll check it out.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4929
    Thanks @Funkfingers @prowla ;

I bought the Studiologic MP-113. I'm glad I went for the MP-113 and not the 117 as even the 113 is bulkier than I expected. For now I'm playing it through an ancient Technics SX-KN901 keyboard, which works well but would mean more complications for playing live. If I ever get to that stage I'll invest in a small synth box.

All I need to do now is get my hands and feet to operate independently. 
    ;) 

Fab - have fun!
    JMP220478 said:
    This app is great - saves buying a synth box, and makes gigs easier as I use an iPad to control the mixer.

I have a strange sound problem. Most patches play ok with the iPad speakers, but when connected to my computer some patches play while others are silent (or almost silent). For example, the "Plucked Standup" and "In the Middle" bass patches play at similar volume on the iPad, but when I connect the iPad to my Mac "In the Middle" comes through loud and string in Studio One, but "Plucked Standup" can't be heard.

Have you seen this - any ideas?
  • I have a Roland PK5 that I can put into a Roland Pro-e and/or a Roland M-GS64. The pedals are very easy to use and have Midi in, out and thru.

Currently I use a Korg Taktile controller going into the PK5 and onward to the M-GS64. 

However in the past I've had the PK5 into the Pro-e as it has a drum machine which the PK5 can control, these 2 are from the same period and so work well together. However the sounds on the Pro-e aren't great so sometimes I would turn it down and put the Midi out into the better sounding M-GS64. Of cause the down side to that is the sound effects triggers from the PK5 don't work with the M-GS64.