Sam Fender

What's Hot
darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13736
Watched his Glasto set yesterday and hadn't paid enough attention before but this guy is great!

He's a great songwriter and guitar-based musician who has kicked out some great tunes.

Sort of done a Northern British version of the Killers.

Recommend giving his albums a listen.
You are the dreamer, and the dream...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• relic245relic245 Frets: 1109
    We brought one of his songs into the set recently.

I'd never heard of him at the time, always goes down well and a lot of people seem to know it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    Seventeen Going Under is the best record of last year by miles. 

He seems like a great guy and is clearly a fantastic songwriter. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 3027
    I hear a lot of Springsteen's influence in him.  Nothing wrong with that 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3121
    I found his set bland and uninteresting. I guess I'm not the target audience. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16475
    that was my initial impression as well, there are worse artists to be inspired by. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16475
    enjoying the set overall, just one gripe is the sax player. I really hate that "pop" sax tone that sounds like an angry wasp playing a kazoo in a lemonade bottle, it sets my teeth on edge. It looks like it's a vintage sax as well, so he spent thousands to sound like that!!!

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• dindudedindude Frets: 8630
    Indeed, my 6-year old boy is obsessed with his music (have to find the ones that block swearing and steer him away from the more adult themes) so I know both albums very well! It is great stuff, The Borders from the first album and Seventeen going under are cracking bits of story telling song writing. Also like the more laid back direction on some of the new stuff like Mantra (lovely outro anti-solo) and Spit of You. 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5737
    He's made a lot of new fans this weekend I reckon.
  • I'd not heard much of him till yesterday. The Borders was epic.. reminded me of War on Drug's take on the Springsteen stadium filler. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13736
    Agree totally, what has always stopped me being a big Springsteen fan is he is as American in focus as apple pie and guns, a Brit version was always going to do well.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2988
    Daughter has followed him for ages, and going to see him in London next month

i like his sound, I can only understand 50% of what he says in between other songs because every other word is f***
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3810
    edited June 2022
    A couple of his songs in our repertoire.  The ubiquitous ‘Will We Talk?’ and the unlikely ‘Dead Boys’.
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3500
    I found his set bland and uninteresting. I guess I'm not the target audience. 
    Hes gone from the most interesting British artist is years to MOR in 4 years. He didnt even do his best track 'Dead Boys', but did the B side :s
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3500
    I think Its more hes influenced by people influenced by Springsteen. Gaslight Anthem, The Hold Steady Etc. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    I like the guy - and he comes across as a sensible/nice lad - Good to see a British act running a successful guitar based band - I can't say I like all the material, but that is me as a grumpy old git - But I like some songs - Wish we had more such acts around today 
  • randellarandella Frets: 4732
    Good stuff. He's playing Tramlines this year, so I'll dig out some albums and have a listen in order to at least look as though I'm not a middle-aged fart during his set :lol:
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1375
    edited June 2022
    I like him having come across Seventeen Going Under on Youtube a few months back, and being blown away by it. I do feel a bit embarrassed at not taking an interest in him earlier as I do live in the North East. I can understand why some have difficulty understanding him as he does have a bit of the local accent.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BGGBGG Frets: 703
    VimFuego said:
    enjoying the set overall, just one gripe is the sax player. I really hate that "pop" sax tone that sounds like an angry wasp playing a kazoo in a lemonade bottle, it sets my teeth on edge. It looks like it's a vintage sax as well, so he spent thousands to sound like that!!!
    Maybe it’s what the band, management want ?
    I’ve played in a band with him and he is an unreal sax player, superb jazz player with the most gorgeous tone. And you’re right it’s a very old sax, sounds beautiful. 
    #thebatesmotelband
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    Big fan here, I think he's making music that appeals to all sorts/ages, but not in a too middle-of-the-road bad way. He's got things to say, and there's purpose behind most of it...