PSU as Riser - Daft Idea?

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17942
in FX tFB Trader
I've just realised I've made a bit of a fuck up. 

I bought a Hot Stone Deluxe PSU with the intention of attaching it to the bottom of my Pedaltrain 2. Unfortunately it's too bleedin big and doesn't fit. I really like the PSU and ideally I'd like to keep it especially as anything else with that much juice is likely to be of a similar size anyway. 

My board is fairly full so clearing space for the Hotstone is not an option however it has occurred to me that I could put the Hotstone at the back of the board put some loop tape on the top and use it as a riser for a couple of MXR sized pedals thus killing two birds with one stone (oh the puns!)  as I've had a bit of grief reaching pedals on the back row anyway. 

The only thing stopping me implementing my devilish plan is that I wonder if it might cause the hotstone to overheat. It doesn't seem to run massively hot so I figure it will probably be fine, but I thought I'd call upon the wisdom of the forum before I go ahead.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    This suggests that it does fit under the pedaltrain 2..

Decibel 11 Pedaltrain 2 Hot Stone Deluxe Installa…:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    edited September 2014
    I guess the Hot Stone has a Toroidal transformer in it which gives of a small magnetic field (someone more techy than me can hopefully pitch in and clarify) so the close proximity of the pedal on top may increase hum, but try it and see if it's an issue is the best bet.

The bigger issue for me would be the long legs and balancing on one leg needed to reach the back pedals which sit on top of the power supply as the PT already presents them pretty high with its angle design.
  • Get rid of the Velvet to free some space
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17942
    tFB Trader
    shuikit said:
    This suggests that it does fit under the pedaltrain 2..

Decibel 11 Pedaltrain 2 Hot Stone Deluxe Installa…: image

Yes, I thought it would work as I'd heard it was compatible, but unfortunately I have the first generation Pedaltrain 2 which doesn't have any grommets in the back or any mounting brackets. 

I'm not too worried about the brackets as extra strong velcro will hold just about anything.
  • Do you have no means of raising the height of the PT? Fitting bigger feet to the corners?
    tFB Trader
    Do you have no means of raising the height of the PT? Fitting bigger feet to the corners?
    Id have to raise it up a hell of a lot and put it on an upside down riser because the IEC connector is currently right in the middle of the back of the unit if installed as instructed.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I've seen it done over on TGP a few times, but I myself never have.  I wouldn't worry about heat tbh, it is no worse than stuffing it between supports under a pt2.  It is the interference of the audio and power cables that could cause issues.

If height is an issue, CIOKS do a mounting kit for their supplies which includes new feet which I use for my AC10 and works perfectly!
    tFB Trader
    joeyowen said:
    I've seen it done over on TGP a few times, but I myself never have.  I wouldn't worry about heat tbh, it is no worse than stuffing it between supports under a pt2.  It is the interference of the audio and power cables that could cause issues.

If height is an issue, CIOKS do a mounting kit for their supplies which includes new feet which I use for my AC10 and works perfectly!
    I'd actually be quite tempted to get one of those as I'd like a steeper angle on my pedaltrain.
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 146
    tFB Trader
    I've done it before with my PP2+. Noticeable noise if you put a gain pedal there but anything non-gain based should not give you too much trouble.

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    edited September 2014
    Gah! This was mine and I had it attached under my pt2. Sorry Nick. 
    tFB Trader
    Deijavoo said:
    Gah! This was mine and I had it attached under my pt2. Sorry Nick. 
    Don't worry. It's my fault for not checking if it was compatible with the old style Pedaltrain.

Ended up with this as a solution:

I've dropped my vocal harmoniser pedal and the only thing I've stuck on the Hot Stone is my monitor mixer and that's balanced so it should be OK with a bit of noise. 
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    edited September 2014
    Maybe you could drill or cut a hole for the iec cable.. You have to drill the mounting holes for the brackets anyway..?