Festival PA Systems from the past

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14234
edited June 2022 in Guitar tFB Trader
Have seen this before in the old International Musician magazine- Grateful Dead - But forgot all about it
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18748
    Bedroom players, what are they like?  ;)
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    it was only ever used at the sound check,   strummed the first chord and ended up in row 96
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ZenOvertoneZenOvertone Frets: 234
    That pic was also used in Tom Wheeler's "The Guitar Book" 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7214
    That's exactly where I remember the photo from also.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    It’s actually a clever concept, almost never used by anyone else as far as I know - the whole PA is at the back of the stage, and there are no monitors. How does it not feed back?

By having each microphone with a perfectly matched pair of capsules at either end, connected out of phase - hence completely cancelling sound which is a long way (and hence at equal volume) from both ends, but allowing a sound which is much closer to one end than the other (hence louder, ie the vocal) to be amplified.

That said… and as I recently mentioned elsewhere :), it seems rather a huge amount of ingenuity, cost and sheer physical effort in setting up, in order to amplify some of the most insipid interminable drivel I’ve ever heard.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • ZenOvertoneZenOvertone Frets: 234
    ICBM said:
    It’s actually a clever concept, almost never used by anyone else as far as I know - the whole PA is at the back of the stage, and there are no monitors. How does it not feed back?

By having each microphone with a perfectly matched pair of capsules at either end, connected out of phase - hence completely cancelling sound which is a long way (and hence at equal volume) from both ends, but allowing a sound which is much closer to one end than the other (hence louder, ie the vocal) to be amplified.

That said… and as I recently mentioned elsewhere :), it seems rather a huge amount of ingenuity, cost and sheer physical effort in setting up, in order to amplify some of the most insipid interminable drivel I’ve ever heard.
    I saw the picture as a kid and imagined a super heavy band sounding like an extreme version of Sabbath (akin to the fictional band "Disaster Area" from the Hitchhikers Guide), sadly disappointed that they sounded country....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bcjimbcjim Frets: 39
     some of the most insipid interminable drivel I’ve ever heard.”

Hey!  That’s my favourite band your talking about there!  And they were using that rig when I saw them at the Ally Pally all those years ago.

Jim.
  • diapdiap Frets: 135
    ICBM said:
    That said… and as I recently mentioned elsewhere :), it seems rather a huge amount of ingenuity, cost and sheer physical effort in setting up, in order to amplify some of the most insipid interminable drivel I’ve ever heard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c
    edited June 2022
    Some pretty clever minds involved in the 'Wall of sound'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_of_Sound_(Grateful_Dead)

p.s. Thank fuck I'm not paying a subscription to use this clunky as hell forum!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    diap said:

thank fuck no-one else gives a shit  :) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    bertie said:
    diap said:

Yet you felt the need to comment! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325

I saw the picture as a kid and imagined a super heavy band sounding like an extreme version of Sabbath (akin to the fictional band "Disaster Area" from the Hitchhikers Guide), sadly disappointed that they sounded country....
    Exactly. With a name like The Grateful Dead, their album artwork, a reputation for heavy drug use and a PA system that looked like it could be heard on the next continent, I expected something like Black Sabbath, Mountain and Led Zeppelin all rolled into one. I was… disappointed, to say the least.

See also: Kiss, Styx, Blue Oyster Cult.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    diap said:
    bertie said:
    diap said:

Yet you felt the need to comment! 
    yeah,  no-one else but me   
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1480
    I saw them at the Holywood festival back in 1970.  It took hours for them to set up and they were boring as hell.  I think it was their first appearance in the UK and it was probably the last for a while, as they really didn't get the crowd on their side.  On the other hand, Black Sabbath, Traffic, Free and Mungo Jerry were all great!
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3244
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1846
    Health and Safety gone mad,I tells ya.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7324
    edited June 2022
    Haha I was the same with grateful dead. My Dad got me an mp3 CD player one birthday and copied me loads of albums. When I saw their name but then heard their music I was confused.
    I always try go back and listen but it's not my thing. Which is a shame cos they've got loads of live bootlegs.
    DefaultM said:
    Haha I was the same with grateful dead. My Dad got me an mp3 CD player one birthday and copied me loads of albums. When I saw their name but then heard their music I was confused.
    I always try go back and listen but it's not my thing. Which is a shame cos they've got loads of live bootlegs.
    similar,  both from all the hype about Bob Weir in Ibanez guitar catalogues and general hype / "folklore" anyway :) 
    was about 15 or 16,  there was a televised gig on BBC about 1am.................. persuaded a mate (drummer) to stay up and watch it............................... he called me a lot of names 10 mins into the program..............15 mins I was on me way home !!

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14234
    tFB Trader
    wonder how many trucks are required to transport that - Plus how many power amps to drive it
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Owsley, having fried America’s brains, next attempted to destroy their hearing.