MIchael Kelly Guitars?

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1392
I had almost forgotten these existed. I have never met anyone who played one, but have never read anything bad as such about them. I like the cut of this HS tele:
https://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/en/products/view/54OP
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    lookng at the prices - is that a US version of the  -  import from far east and assemble "in country"  - 

the acoustics are quite hideous 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1392
    bertie said:
    lookng at the prices - is that a US version of the  -  import from far east and assemble "in country"  - 

Not sure, the model I looked at was €300+. But no idea of the quality of em.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    bertie said:

Not sure, the model I looked at was €300+. But no idea of the quality of em.
    website has "Promenade Mucic" (Morecombe)  down as a dealer, but the PM site doesnt list MK as a brand !
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    edited June 2022
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18900
    I had a Michael Kelly Patriot Decree (LP style) about 12 years ago.  Bought it as I was curious about them & it was such a bargain that I couldn't lose money on it.
    Very well constructed & finished, own brand coil-tapped PAF Plus pickups sounded good & the body shape was OK but I just had too many two pickup LP's & LP styled guitars & I don't really like many heavily flamed tops. Well worth a look if you are looking for a different LP with Epiphone level quality.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11923
    I had almost forgotten these existed. I have never met anyone who played one, but have never read anything bad as such about them. I like the cut of this HS tele:
    https://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/en/products/view/54OP
    I've often wondered this. They look great but are as cheap as chips.  Dare I say... HB competitor???
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23023
    I always assumed they were built by Cort or somewhere similar, but I don't know for sure.
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2402
    My high school bandmate had a Michael Kelly Patriot with EMGs in which I used a few times at gigs. Comfortable, good guitar, much like anything else out of WMI Korea!
    Tim
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27648
    Co-incidentally, I was looking at the Hybrid model last week, and wondering whether I should be tempted.

It's a bit of a leap though - £900ish for something that would be bought unplayed, and apparently has little s/h value retention!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23023
    timmypix said:
    My high school bandmate had a Michael Kelly Patriot with EMGs in which I used a few times at gigs. Comfortable, good guitar, much like anything else out of WMI Korea!
    Ah, so it was World Musical Instrument Co? :)  I wasn't far off.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7356
    edited June 2022
    I have a Vex-X model.  They don't make that model any longer.  I bought it from eBay on a whim for about £115 about 14 years ago.  RRP at the time was around £350.  It has a lovely smooth satin maple neck and flat radius rosewood fretboard with 24 frets.  The neck is actually a bit slim for my preferences but it has good access to the upper frets due to the rounded heel and recessed neck bolts.  Basswood carved top body.  Pickups are pretty powerful as the abalone axe 5th fret marker inlay and general design would tend to imply.  It's a well assembled and finished guitar that sounds great, but it suffers a lot from crackly static when your fingers touch the hard polyester lacquer on the body near the controls.  Would I have paid £350 for it?  Probably not, but then again I'm not a teenage heavy metal player.  Was it worth £350?  At the time it was, but you can now get own-brand guitars of the same or better build quality from the large and well known German musical retailer and some other brands like East Coast, Jet, etc for around £200.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4674
    i had one one of these for a wee while a few years back, pre brexshit , bought from EU on Reverb 

it was really decent, one of my pals took a shine to it and offered me a chunk more than i paid for it so it went to him, he still has it and loves it 

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1392
    Going by the comments, seems to be what I thought. Not bad, but not great, and they seem to fall between a few stools. I'm not gone on the blingy ones at all, but the plain tele link I posted doesn't look bad, and for a Korean made guitar, pretty cheap.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    They were all the rage on the more US-centric guitar forums several years ago. Never got round to trying any...
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18900
    Dave_Mc said:
    They were all the rage on the more US-centric guitar forums several years ago. Never got round to trying any...
    Yep, that was why I wanted to try one.
    Great bang for your buck at the time, which was true & can still be valid.
    Perspective is everything  ;)
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    Dave_Mc said:
    Yep, that was why I wanted to try one.
    Great bang for your buck at the time, which was true & can still be valid.
    Perspective is everything  ;)
    Yeah. I think I did eventually end up in a shop which stocked them, but I still didn't get to try them as I was trying other stuff (acoustics)!