2x12 cabs

What's Hot
TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
Looking like I'll soon be swapping my Mini Jubilee combo for a mates head version which I've wanted to do for a while, and now find myself looking for a decent but affordable 2x12 cab. Been thinking of a vertical one for being able to hear myself better on smaller stages but does it actually make that much difference, or could I just get a horizontal 1936V/similar and put it on its end?

I was looking at the Harley Benton G212 with V30s, but not sure on the build quality and the tolex looks a bit cheap and nasty. Is it like that in person or does it actually look ok? Anything else to look at that I'm missing? I was going to get the matching Marshall 2536A but it's a bit out of my ideal price range at the minute. Zilla are probably a bit much for me as well at the minute unless I get lucky on a used one.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    How much do you care about low end?

My experience is that a 4x12 gets bottom end just by virtue of the amount of air enclosed and the dimensions giving good resonance.

With a 2x12 you don't get that so much, so the low end resonance comes from the cab sides, baffle and back. I think the construction can swing it one way or the other a lot more. Ranging from something like a Zilla*, which in my experience (I've had 4 different ones over the years) tend to be more resonant, to something less resonant like an Orange or the least resonant cab I ever used, a front loaded Framus.

If you go for a non resonant cab you need an amp and speakers that can push the bottom end without help, or it sounds stiff and thin.

Honestly if you look on eBay cabs are pretty cheap at the moment.

*the most resonant cab was a Zilla Fatboy, where the combo of oversized cab with resonant wood made it feel like my sound was wallowing in low end. Really that cab needed something with a lot of low end control/tightness and I didn't have that.

Vertical vs horizontal - my opinion is horizontal looks better, vertical does make it easier to hear at head height it it's an angled baffle. Vertical looks shit, though, unless the cab is wider than the head.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    edited June 2022
    I'd get the Origin vertical 2x12" if you can't afford the Jubilee or find a second hand one. I'm pretty sure it's made from MDF rather than ply, and the speakers are Seventy/80s (I think), but it looks the part, you can upgrade the speakers later for much less cost than the difference between the two cabs, and if you ever do come across a second hand Jubilee you'll be able to easily resell it to someone with the same need...

And yes, vertical cabinets are definitely better almost regardless of stage size - it's basic physics, they have better side-to-side dispersion (counterintuitively!) as well as lifting the top speaker up to where you can hear it better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • De_BatzDe_Batz Frets: 117
    Cirrus said:

Vertical vs horizontal - my opinion is horizontal looks better, vertical does make it easier to hear at head height it it's an angled baffle. Vertical looks shit, though, unless the cab is wider than the head.
    Wiz added for this point. Head wider than cab? Doesn't matter how good it sounds, I'm not enjoying the gig, even if I'm not playing.

On a related note to the rest of the post, I've found that my Zilla 4x10 (sort of derived from the small vintage) has a kind of loose, wobbly, enveloping low end, and I've always put at least part of that down to the 12mm construction. I've got a modern 2x12 with Fanes AXAs, and that's a lot more solid in the low end, not more bass, but just everything holds together better. 

Depending on where you are, there are several options available for secondhand 2x12 cabs in the range of £300 and each of these would be a really good choice. 

If you weren't too fussy, any of these, four additional feet and the ability to close your eyes when setting up so you don't witness the horror that is the T of amp head bigger than cab...
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited June 2022
    @Cirrus yes I do like a thick guitar sound but not at the expense of tightness. I don't want it to be woofy. Tbh the Jubilee 112 combo isn't too bad but quite boxy sounding and doesn't exactly have loads of low end. It sounds a lot better through a proper cab and I generally like the 2x12s I've used over 4x12s for the slightly more focused/middy sound to my ears. Had a Tube Town British 212 for years which I really should have held on to. That had a flex back which was great as I'd open it up for gigs to make it less directional, but keep it closed at home for a tighter and bassier sound. I may keep an eye out for a used Zilla then, £300 is about my top end budget at the minute. I'm almost tempted to get a used 1960 though, they always pop up for cheap as everyone's downsizing these days!

Also the Studio Jubilee head is the same width as a vertical 2x12 so no worries with any ugly T shape overhang!
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Does it need to be 2 X 12? I had a ported 1 x 12 once and that was pretty great. I wondered if a ported 2 X 12 may be a thing or something along those lines?
    edited June 2022
    Well I've always preferred the sound of at least 2 speakers going, it also allows for a nice blend of speaker types - I really liked having a V30/H75 mix in my old cab. Again should have bloody kept it I don't think I'd be gaining much if anything by switching from the combo to another 1x12, plus I'd still have the issue of it blasting at the back of my legs without a stand.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Vertical does make a difference and vertical angled is better still. I have a Zilla Fatboy with Eminence Governors which I added four feet to to stand it on its end. It is quite narrow though so not every amp will fit in it. The Governors fill out the lows and low mids nicely. I prefer the sound of 2x12 cabs to 4x12 generally, I find them present in the upper mids
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I kind of want an angled 2x12 but I've no need for one right now
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4512
    edited June 2022
    Zilla Super Fatboy on  eBay for round about your budget:

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7860
    I have a lovely 2x12 with alnico speakers that I’d negotiate a deal on. Sounds glorious. 

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    TTBZ said:

…or could I just get a horizontal 1936V/similar and put it on its end?

That’s what I do, with the help of a set of cheap furniture glides from B&Q screwed to one end. Works for me…

It’s just wide enough in vertical mode to sit a Blackstar Series One head on top, I don’t stress about the overhang, it’s better ergonomically when tweaking controls, fits into a crowded stage area better, and (on stage at least) sounds about a thousand times better…
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    The rehearsal studio we use has Origin vertical 2x12s as the house cabs-they sound fine as standard! Tried with the jet city, and the bogner.

I find a 2x12 put vertically is much more user friendly in terms of projection and hearing yourself, but agree with others on the amp being wider than the cab being a big no no.

I`ve also put a horizontal 2x12 on a beer crate and that also works fine for wider heads. 2 crates if you`re feeling flush! I used to prefer 4x12s being on the floor rather than castors for the bass response, but tbh having the amp off the ground doesn`t seem to bother me that much any more.
    The only issue with the Origin & MX cabs is the dreaded 70/80 speakers! I guess it'd do the job though. 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited June 2022
    All I can say is speaker cabs (and drivers obviously) can make a big difference, and the most expensive won't always sound best.

I like quite light weight ones with a bit of "movement". A bit "lively". 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    TTBZ said:
    The only issue with the Origin & MX cabs is the dreaded 70/80 speakers! I guess it'd do the job though. 
    Easy enough to change and not that expensive. If you’re really on a tight budget, just change the top one first.

Some combinations can be surprisingly good, even with one ‘less good’ speaker. I recently discovered that a G12H-30 and a G12L-35 - which really isn’t very good, on its own - sound great together.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited June 2022
    Come to think of it I've heard the Origin cabs with one speaker switched out for a Creamback and I do remember it sounding good!

Has anyone tried the EHX 212 vertical cab? Possibly better construction as it's ply, and its £300 at GAK.

https://shop.ehx.com/item/2x12cab/
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    Second hand Orange 2x12 would be my recommendation. Well built and sound great 
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    I've got a lightweight DV Mark 212 which uses Alnico speakers and can be used horizontally or vertically and weighs very little. Love it.
    I'm thinking I should probably just suck it up and save for a bit longer to get the matching 2536A. I know it looks and sounds good, I really like the Celestion Vintage speakers with this amp.
    edited July 2022
    Any opinions on the Orange 2x12 Open Back? Hadn't really considered it but it looks like almost identical dimensions/construction and speaker layout as my old Tube Town British 212. Not vertical but from what I remember having the back off that cab really helped with filling the room more in a band. They seem to go for decent prices 2nd hand.