Finger Nail Problem.

What's Hot
bluecatbluecat Frets: 571
Generally I don't have a problem with the nails on my picking hand but very very occasionally the nails will crack and have to be cut.The main problem is that I have to play on skin for the next week or so untill they grow.I avoid bleach and very hot water.
Any ideas FretBoarders,I am open to suggestions.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5369
    My solution to this, after asking in /acoustics was to get Barielle Nail Strengthener cream and use it on my picking hand.

A pot lasts ages. For the first month or so I put it on twice a day, but since then I put it on maybe two or three times a week and it stops all the shaling and splitting that used to happen. It doesn't stop you slicing into your nail with a kitchen knife though ...

A friend just goes down the nail bar and gets acrylics put on every fortnight, but that sounds like a lot of faff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 571
    Years ago my ex had acrylics installed but it rotted the nail underneath but Brielle nail strengthener sounds really good.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    diet and strengthener / treatments     
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    Just had major surgery 7weeks ago Bertie,just started to put a bit of weight on again,the surgeon said I could eat anything but I have never been one to eat a load of crap,just good protein and good veg and salad,so maybe diet is not a problem.
    Maybe strengtheners may help,thanks.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Develop calluses.

Play finger style bass.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • JonnyBgoodeJonnyBgoode Frets: 118
    You say that generally you don't have problems so it sounds like your nails are pretty strong and you don't need to bother with acrylics or stick on nails  etc 

Main thing is to keep them filed with smooth edges (get a 4 way buffer thingy from Boots) and moisturise them with a decent cream eg E45 or even simply a little lip balm after you wash your hands. This will prevent them drying out and cracking.

edited June 2022
    bluecat said:
    Just had major surgery 7weeks ago Bertie,just started to put a bit of weight on again,the surgeon said I could eat anything but I have never been one to eat a load of crap,just good protein and good veg and salad,so maybe diet is not a problem.
    Maybe strengtheners may help,thanks.
    calcium   is what Im on about  -   things that strengthen the nails, as opposed to a generally shit diet  

I also "take care"  of them - regular filing,  make sure no "splinters" or dings can develop into splits

I cant do callouses,  they're hard to develop and just dont sound or feel the same.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I don't drink milk Bertie ,but I love all kinds of real cheese!thanks again.
    bluecat said:
    I don't drink milk Bertie 
    ah -  I get through about 4 litres a week............   mooooo
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    Snags said:
    My solution to this, after asking in /acoustics was to get Barielle Nail Strengthener cream and use it on my picking hand.

A pot lasts ages. For the first month or so I put it on twice a day, but since then I put it on maybe two or three times a week and it stops all the shaling and splitting that used to happen. It doesn't stop you slicing into your nail with a kitchen knife though ...

A friend just goes down the nail bar and gets acrylics put on every fortnight, but that sounds like a lot of faff.
    that Barielle stuff really does work
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I use my index finger nail instead of a plec. The problem is though that my nail is very weak and is always breaking. For years now I have been using acrylic to make the nail useable. Small bottle of liquid, small tub of powder. I dip a brush into the liquid, then into the powder, then slap in on my nail. It dries quite a lot in about a minute then I push it into shape, I sand it a bit around a minute later then it's good to go for about a week. No bad after affects to my nail. I also use it if I get a split down another nail to hold it together. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    In the 70'siwhen I was doing the blues and folk venues I used to use clear nail varnish and tissue paper and layer it up until I got the right thickness,then I would shape up with a nail file.
    I can't be arsed with that procedure now I am not gigging,just want some thing easier.it looked ugly at the time but it served its purpose.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    I don't use a pick jusy my finger nail, (I can still shred) I put superglue on the nail which stops it wearing down 
    bluecat said:
    In the 70'siwhen I was doing the blues and folk venues I used to use clear nail varnish and tissue paper and layer it up until I got the right thickness,then I would shape up with a nail file.

that and ping-pong balls
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Never tried that Bertie but I can see it working.
  • M1ckM1ck Frets: 231
    @ToneControl, @snags,
    Where do you get Barielle from? I’ve tried my local Boots and Superdrug but no luck.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    edited July 2022
    @M1ck ; - Amazon has it if you can buy online.

Or try a nail salon :)
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5369
    @M1ck yeah, what Mellish said - I've given in to the Bezos empire and just get it from Amazon.
  • M1ckM1ck Frets: 231
    edited July 2022
    @Mellish & @snags cheers both - I was trying to avoid Amazon if poss but I guess I’ll have to give in! I had thought of nail bars but we don’t have any locally - Boots and Superdrug on the otherhand!
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    I have talked about this on the acoustic section before as for me acrylics are great. I used to have my nails  done at a salon years ago, then for the last 7 years I have just bought 1) primer 2) acrylic liquid 3( acrylic powder 4) decent nail files  5) a good application brush 6) brush cleaner / acrylic remover and got on with the job myself as required.

Until a couple of years ago, I was doing a lot of acoustic gigs, which needed something way beyond my natural nails and the ability to apply something nearly as tough as fibre glass whenever needed has been brilliant for me. Even now I still keep my nails coated so that I can get the most out of my guitars. 

I did play with mostly calloused pads for about 25 years before that, but the difference in attack and output from acrylics has had me sold ever since.