Stratocaster - 4kg too Heavy ?

What's Hot

Been offered a late 70s Stratocaster all original which sound and plays great but one issue - it weighs over 4kg .  

Do any players actually prefer heavier guitars  as I am looking to buy it to sell on but concerned as most buyer will be put off solely on the weight without even trying it . 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6892
    edited June 2022
    I’ve got a 9lb (just over 4kg) partscaster and I’m finding it a bit heavy when playing standing, so am looking for a lighter body (body weighs 2kgs)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12400
    I’ve played an 11lb 70s Strat sounded great but heavy strats would be put me off. 
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    Avoid,it will be a p.i.t.a to move on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24834
    edited June 2022
    Certainly that’s not unusual for the period - indeed an 8lb (or lighter) example would be rare.

Whether guitars like this are objectively ‘worth’ what they tend to sell for, is a different question. Something newer (and cheaper) is almost always better, in my experience.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24434
    I wouldn’t even think bout buying it.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22991
    It's too heavy for me, that's for sure.  There are some players who say they actively seek out a heavy guitar, but they're usually talking about Les Paul Customs rather than Strats.
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1114
    That's not an unusual weight for a 70s Strat. They can go significantly heavier than that.

That said, I think any Strat over 3.5kg is too heavy for my preferences.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7328
    edited June 2022
    My 1979 Strat was just over 4kg.  I was young back then and it wasn't too bad with it on a wide padded strap for a while, but I began to find it unwieldly and carrying it in a rectangular hardcase for any distance or up stairs was hard going.  I would never buy or keep a guitar as heavy as that now that I am older and less fit.

Unless you are going to get it for an exceptionally low price where you know that you could make a profit by selling it at an attractive price if it does prove too heavy, I would avoid it.
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1966

Been offered a late 70s Stratocaster all original which sound and plays great but one issue - it weighs over 4kg .  

Do any players actually prefer heavier guitars  as I am looking to buy it to sell on but concerned as most buyer will be put off solely on the weight without even trying it . 

Ah. This is why there aren't many responses to your post. Guitar flippers aren't generally popular on here and that's as it should be. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14495
    … late 70s Stratocaster …
    … weighs over 4kg …  
    … I am looking to buy it to sell on …
    Not all late Seventies Fender guitars are  pants but, generally speaking, the reissues are better made, regardless of country of origin.

I think it is significant that American-made reissues of the large headstock 'n' Micro Tilt Stratocaster tend to be signature models or short run editions.

Weight can be compensated for to some extent with a broad and/or padded strap.  

Putting the ethics of buying to sell on aside for a moment, if you expect to sell quickly, offer items that are in demand. The large headstock Stratocaster is not in huge demand. 

One word summary. Avoid.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11459
    I haven't played a huge number of late 70s Fenders, but the modern Mexican guitars are better than ones I have played.  I would steer well clear.

That's before you consider how ugly the headstock is on them.
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3991
    I thought you meant like....4kg over a comfortable weight, was going to suggest maybe what you're looking at is two guitars stuck together
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    edited June 2022
    prlgmnr said:
    I thought you meant like....4kg over a comfortable weight, was going to suggest maybe what you're looking at is two guitars stuck together
    Like some sort of pancake body?  
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30300
    I don't like any heavy guitars. I can't see any advantage to them.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2205
    I wouldn't write it off just because if the weight.  It might play and sound amazing.  But it might be also be shit.
  • YourArsenal87YourArsenal87 Frets: 288
    edited June 2022
    Fishboy7 said:
    I wouldn't write it off just because if the weight.  It might play and sound amazing.  But it might be also be shit.
    If he’s just buying to flip quickly weight is an issue regardless.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3823
    edited June 2022
    When you sell it just say you haven't got any scales but it feels perfect 

Really, it wouldn't bother me if all else was to my liking.
    I've never actually asked about a guitar's weight when buying. 
    Guitar players are frail old buggers  :)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31621

Guitar players are frail old buggers  :)
    I love my 10lb late 70s Strat but apart from Les Pauls buyers are more likely to ask weight questions about those Strats than any other guitar, such is their reputation. 
    edited June 2022
    p90fool said:

Guitar players are frail old buggers 
    I love my 10lb late 70s Strat but apart from Les Pauls buyers are more likely to ask weight questions about those Strats than any other guitar, such is their reputation. 

No doubt.

I bet though, like most things guitar, people probably wouldn't really notice unless they were told.

If I was gigging all the time I'd maybe think differently about weight right enough. 
    Some guitarists should be thinking about losing a bit of weight themselves never mind their guitar! Same goes for some cyclists  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom