Stratocaster - 4kg too Heavy ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22794
    Devil#20 said:

Been offered a late 70s Stratocaster all original which sound and plays great but one issue - it weighs over 4kg .  

Do any players actually prefer heavier guitars  as I am looking to buy it to sell on but concerned as most buyer will be put off solely on the weight without even trying it . 

Ah. This is why there aren't many responses to your post. Guitar flippers aren't generally popular on here and that's as it should be. 
    Yeah, that's right, we take them out to the parking lot in back of the bar, just me and Petey and Scooter and some pool cues, and we make damn sure they don't show their guitar-flippin' faces in this county again.

Oh hang on, no we don't.  I think maybe that was a Steven Seagal film.  As you were.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1343
    Too heavy for what? Making music? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    edited June 2022

I bet though, like most things guitar, people probably wouldn't really notice unless they were told.
    I think they would.

A 10lb Strat feels really heavy, like it’s made of concrete - much worse than a Les Paul of the same weight, I think either because those are smaller so the density doesn't seem so surprising, or just because you already expect them to be heavy.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited June 2022
    My 79 Anniversary is about 10lbs. It’s ok on a strap. But this is the thing. If I put a lighter body on it I devalue it. Although I have been tempted to. 
  • TeflonTeflon Frets: 225
    My '78 Strat is 7.25 lbs, so quite light for the period
  • Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 405
    Teflon said:
    My '78 Strat is 7.25 lbs, so quite light for the period
    I've got a '78 Strat weighing 7.4lbs, that's about the perfect weight for a strat imo 
  • Just went to view the guitar again, it's comes up as 4.3kg on a set of bathroom scales so just under 10 llbs so even heavier than I thought  , I have two 79 anniversary Stratocaster which were known for being very heavy but both are around 3.5kg .

I told him that I would list it on his behalf which is probably the safest option ,   he told me that he actually went out his way to find a heavy stratocater as he was use to playing Gibsons and could not " get on " with light guitars. 

Thanks for all the comments .