New Gordon Smith model: Griffin

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
In firebird and reverse firebird style, they do look pretty cool.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    edited June 2022
    They do look nice. 

Odd that they've re-used the name of a model from their distant past, although I understand the play on words given the bird association.

I know ESP did similarly with the Eclipse, and Fender with various amps, but you don't see it very often.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    That blue is nice!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18747
    P-90 or humbucker only, no mini hum or Firebird types.
    https://www.gordonsmithguitars.com/shop/guitars/griffin/
  • TrentGuitarsTrentGuitars Frets: 1731
    tFB Trader
    Looks great but the extras pricing always confuses me, +£150 for a custom radius? Must be batching all their boards. +£120 for CTS wiring? Hmmmm
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    Looks great but the extras pricing always confuses me, +£150 for a custom radius? Must be batching all their boards. +£120 for CTS wiring? Hmmmm
    No extra charge for stainless steel frets though. The charge for CTS pots is a bit too much though!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    My favourite 'Bird is the transitional Gibson one, produced in very limited quantities, in the mid Sixties.

Reverse body, non-reverse headstock.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    Bodies look too small to me.
  • TrentGuitarsTrentGuitars Frets: 1731
    tFB Trader
    No extra charge for stainless steel frets though. The charge for CTS pots is a bit too much though!
    True - or evo gold!
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1130
    These look cool, but I'd want to try before ordering, and at that price I'd expect CTS/Switchcraft as standard.The upcharge is very steep.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    not for me 

(politespeak for fucking horrid)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14234
    tFB Trader
    BlueStrat said:
    That blue is nice!
    agree and the surf green - Natural a no no for me
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    Same here.  It looks like an attempt to fit a firebird body within smaller dimensions fir some reason
  • jca74jca74 Frets: 333
    edited June 2022
    I've ranted about the cost of their CTS upgrades before. A CTS pot is in the £6-9 range depending on spec, at consumer prices. El cheapo pots are £1.50-£5 retail. They should get better bulk pricing than us mere consumers, which means for at worst around a £30-40 increase in component costs (probably an overestimate), they are charging >£100 to wire them up in exactly the same way as the cheap options.

It would be more cost effective for me to buy it without the CTS gubbins and pay my local tech to replace everything.

As it is I do my own wiring, so even cheaper!

Apart from that, I think they look really rather good...
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2934
    My own experience of ordering two guitars from Gordon Smith is that they're not very 'strict' about the up-charges for specs. My 2018 order came in only slightly more than RRP despite having an ebony 'board, locking tuners, and a custom colour - which should've added a fair bit more according to the web site. My 2022 order seemed to include no extra charge for a unique scratch plate design, and when locking tuners were missed off the quote, they added them to the specs without adding anything to the quote.

I do love the look of the 'flip' version in blue - but I'd probably want an 'unflipped' headstock on it - and I expect that would be no issue for them to do. That's the beauty of buying from smaller volume builders, you can really get what you want :)
    And I'm sure this applies to many other UK builders. 
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2934
    jca74 said:
    I've ranted about the cost of their CTS upgrades before. A CTS pot is in the £6-9 range depending on spec, at consumer prices. El cheapo pots are £1.50-£5 retail. They should get better bulk pricing than us mere consumers, which means for at worst around a £30-40 increase in component costs (probably an overestimate), they are charging >£100 to wire them up in exactly the same way as the cheap options.

It would be more cost effective for me to buy it without the CTS gubbins and pay my local tech to replace everything.

Worth having a conversation with them - I know they've been happy to use customer supplied parts like pickups and tuners in the past, simply deducting the cost of their own parts from the build price. Not sure if that would apply here, but in my experience they've always been very friendly to chat to, and not at all 'penny pinching' (see comment above).
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22795
    WezV said:
    Same here.  It looks like an attempt to fit a firebird body within smaller dimensions fir some reason
    Funnily enough I was thinking the opposite, that they've made them smaller but managed to keep the Firebird character.

They look great.  I really like them.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    TBH, Doug mentions the smaller body in his spiel. For the record, I prefer the smaller size as they don't look quite so much like a 1970s Coffee table with a neck glued on...

The prices, actually, look pretty keen for a hand made UK built guitar - and a shed load cheaper than the equivalent from the big G. I want to give one a try before I say anything more - especially on a strap, as F'birds tend to be a bit neck-divey even with that bulk of a body, so I want to know how they balance. 

Good luck to them - clearly from the grumpy, dismissive comments above, they may need it.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    I've no idea about the guitars but I wish they'd do something about that awful greetings card style head stock logo.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7324
    They look really nice and I've never liked Gordon Bennett guitars or Firebirds.