People's thoughts on Burny RLG-60P?

What's Hot
Jim54Jim54 Frets: 244
What are people's thoughts/opinions on these Burny gold top guitars? Decent value for the money (assuming you could get one for about £400)?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited June 2022
    are they MIJ or MIsomewhereelse ?    is £400 new or used ?

to be picky,  the bridge p/up is a bit askew -  but looks nice otherwise,  Ive never played one so cant comment further 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Jim54Jim54 Frets: 244
    Not sure where they're made to be honest. This would be new. Yeah, not sure what's going on with the bridge pickup in that photo, was just a random photo off the web.
  • Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 405
    Pretty sure these are Chinese made. My local store had some in pre-covid lockdown and they sounded really nice. The model they had was extremely heavy though 10lbs+.

Played one in comparison to a Japanese Tokai they had and it help up well considering the price difference at the time. I'm not sure I'd buy one over a Epiphone though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 685
    Can't comment on these specifically, but I used to have a Burny RLG-55 Lemon Drop, made in China.

It was on the whole, excellent. I replaced the bridge posts and stopbar with some German steel + aluminium from http://tokaiguitar.de/, got the frets levelled, and had a treble pass mod on the volume controls. I wish I'd never sold it.
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • PALPAL Frets: 539
    It's OK for a £400 guitar .The bridge pickup is askew because the way the pick guard is cut and fitted and can easily be
      addressed also the pickup routings are a little on the big side but no big deal.
      Inexpensive guitars can be a bit heavier because sometimes bodies are made out of multi pieces of would but in reality
      lots of Les Paul guitars were heavy but then you can find lighter ones. Hope this helps.

• duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Looks ok, but it’s definitely worth comparing against similar priced Epiphone, Vintage (brand), Tokai etc. models.
    Thanks for the input fellas.
  • Sorry to necrothread but I wanted to give my opinion as an RLG-60 owner.  I've had plenty of Japanese and Korean guitars both set and bolt neck since the 90s.  I've had legit Gibson's.  The Burny - assuming you can get past the name is a very nice base.  Mine was in the low £400s new.  I see there's an RRP around the £900 mark.  As sold, the aren't worth anything like £900.  But with the budget hardware addressed and a bit more attention to frets they certainly could be assuming mine is a fair sample. 

The bridge, stop, tuners and pickups are Epiphone class (this is a 'meh' point)- they work and aren't terrible but they're not noteworthy.  The switch is the real deal.  The pots are minis and have ickle Alpha shafts so you're busting out more that a spanner and soldering kit if you want to fit CTS.  Stock caps are inoffensive green polys which is cool, they work well although aren't boutique level.  The assembly and finish are great.  No issues at all here.  Mine has had a good setup and a set of good pickups (Wolfetone DrV and Marshallhead). It rocks and has great presence and playability.  I'd consider it as an 'only' guitar if cutting down. 

The tuners don't slip and work well. 
    I might consider a fancy Alu bridge set if I wanted to drop another hundred odd in there but it'll be a marginal tone mod rather than addressing serious issues.  My main grouch is that the fret ends could be less square edged and that's a fault I can tolerate at £400 new.  I'm not to fussed it's not nitro.  For some that will be a deal-breaker.  

Personally, I'd buy one of these over am Epi any day.  Based on mine, they're rough gems waiting for someone to put in the hard work that makes a competently assembled instrument into a nice guitar.  Once sorted and equipment brought up to scratch you'd be spending a lot to actually improve on one.  
    Hi Caffiend, my experience is more or less the same as yours. I bought one about a week after my last post above, paid £410 new. I've got a Gibson LP and have owned an R7 in the past, so got something to compare it to. I switched out the pots to a James' Home of Tone kit I got cheap on eBay but not changed anything else on it apart from setting it up to my preferences. It's got a nice feeling neck and stays in tune great. Well worth the money I spent. I did toy with the idea of swapping the pick ups, but I actually think the pickups in this are really nice sounding, and don't think I'd hear much improvement unless I went for some Lollars, but maybe not even then. Punches well above its weight.