Just came across a boxful of NOS boxed valves, any value or suitable for amps?

NeilNeil Frets: 3847
edited September 2014 in Amps
Just got this lot of mainly boxed NOS valves with some other stuff I bought and wondered if they had any value or use to amp bods?

I know nothing of valves so if there is nothing of use I'll chuck the lot on ebay at a later date ( probably never I'm very lazy)

They are all boxed apart from the ones stated as loose.

Anyway if I list them all perhaps some kind souls will tell me if they are any use/value?

Thanks in advance.

Boxed Mullards:
EF 184
EF 91
PCC 84
PCF 80  x2
PCL 85
UCL 83
EZ 80
EF 41
ECH 42 (foreign)

IEC Mullard:
12AX7A (ECC 83)

Loose Mullards:
EB 91
PCC 84 x2
ECL 80 x2
PCC 84 x2
PCC 34

Cossor  (GB) Loose
EB 91 
PCF 80

Tungsram
PL 36 1 boxed, 1 loose
PL 81

Ferranti
EF91

Pinnacle
P608
PCL 82

Thorn
EH90

Brimar
EABC 80

Mazda
EF80

Unknown
EB91
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    Only the EZ80 - it's the rectifier valve for some very low-powered valve rectified amps, eg the original Vox AC4 - and the 12AX7.

All the others are TV and radio valves not used in any guitar amp as far as I know.

The single Mullard 12AX7 alone is worth having though, assuming it works OK.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1747

The "P" are TV valves and only the PCC84 has a heater voltage, 7V close enough to be useful for guitar amp experimentation. Yes, the "F"s are small signal pentodes but have 6V heaters and again could be interesting to the dabbler. Even if they are too noisy as pentodes that can always be strapped as triodes.

Anything with  40 suffix will be crap and I doubt you would find holders for them anyway.

The pair of ECL80s would make a nice ~3W push pull practice amp! There was a console TV that used them for sound OP into a rather nice 10" speaker. Bloody sight better telly sound than we get now!

The UCL83 was found in rather cheap record players. Even cheaper ones used the UL84.

As IC says, keep the '83 and flog the rest. You could look up the Antique Radio Society of Great Britain?

Dave.

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    edited September 2014
    If you have a quick search on eBay against the valve types, particularly completed auctions .. that will tell you the ones that sell and don't.  HiFi guys seem to be experimenting more these days with esoteric valve types to make low output single ended or dual single ended amps and headphone amps.  Trouble is if they are used and not tested / advertised with values, that downs the value.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3847
    Thanks everyone, very enlightening as usual. 

I had an idea most would be for old TV's etc. 
    :(

Any ideas on the value of the 12AX7A and EZ80 so I could post them on the classifieds?

They are unused Mullards in the original boxes.

I don't have any valve amps so no use to me.