NGD: Yamaha LA-8

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• MellishMellish Frets: 950
    edited July 2022
    @Gomers ; - if your Yammie is on the bright side mate, stick a set of Silk & Steel on and see what you think.

Ebony bridge pins should also help to tame it  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GomersGomers Frets: 17
    Mellish said:
    @Gomers ; - if your Yammie is on the bright side mate, stick a set of Silk & Steel on and see what you think.

Ebony bridge pins should also help to tame it  
    Thanks but the bright aspect is in a good way, like loads of clarity which I like.  I had an 80’s Martin D35 once which was the complete opposite.

And sorry to disappoint but I’m just not a bridge pin, sound difference believer.  Find it all a bit foo to be honest, I have done it before but found it made no discernible difference.

Think what I was trying to get at was I tend to find PBs exacerbate a bright guitar making them sound a little clinical and overbearing while 80/20 do settle down after not much playing in and seem to have a quite neutral response.

I’m in no rush to swap the strings out, it sounds bloody marvellous as is so will continue with the mystery strings that are on it now.
    2008 Martin 000-15
     2004 Yamaha LL-500
    1995 Yamaha LA-8
  • MellishMellish Frets: 950
    @Gomers ; - not a problem mate.

You *should* do what works for you :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    On a whim, I bought some Martin flex core TE PBs and have installed them on the LA-8.

The removal of the old 80/20s revealed the redundant piezo USP which I've left in place for now as to remove will require a new saddle making.

The new strings are quite nice to be fair, it's a long time since I've experienced the bright, crisp and fizzy tones of fresh PBs and I'm liking what I'm hearing so far.  Will keep them on long enough for them to properly settle then I'll revaluate.

It has confirmed to me though that this particular LA-8 is a goodun'.
    2008 Martin 000-15
     2004 Yamaha LL-500
    1995 Yamaha LA-8
  • I own quite a few L series Yamaha myself, some are fantastic.  Cloudiness on Yamaha guitars is quite common, over humidity can be a culprit. I played two LA-8 one at an auction which was good guitar (but lacking in volume) the other much better ......so they do vary. I put that down to the fact these are somewhat hand built.
    Martin Flex Cores removed, just TOO sweet sounding.  John Pearse 80/20s installed, better and lost their initial brightness very quickly.  Think 80/20s will probably be the future.  This may of course all change when I have the redundant piezo removed and new saddle made.
    2008 Martin 000-15
     2004 Yamaha LL-500
    1995 Yamaha LA-8