Nick Harper

What's Hot
thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
How can it be that I have only just heard this guy's music? 
This is STUNNING and right up my street of late - exactly the sort of thing I want to be doing:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    BTW look at his extended pickguard! Great idea!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25567
    Nice Helix!

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3594
    I was on a course in Manchester in 1995-ish looking for something to do in the evening and I walked into a Nick Harper pub gig. It was pretty spellbinding to be honest: saw quite a few gigs in the following years and really 'needed' a Lowden from that point onwards ;)
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1910
    I first saw Nick supporting his dad in 1992-ish, and many times since! His aggressive style was a big influence on my playing (hence why my acoustic guitars look like beavers have been fighting over them)

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Master of the in-flight string change...you'd expect to see a few per gig!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    His music is so great and his style of playing (vox + actual acoustic playing and not just slapping!!) is RIGHT up my street
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4904
    I may be wrong but I think I first saw him at the Rainbow in 1974 with Jimmy Page, Keith Moon, his old man and a few others.  He was about nine or ten......

I like him and his music but not as much as his dad's stuff.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4026
    Breath is a stunning listen!

I've seen him live a few times, and it's amazing every time
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4026

joeyowen said:

There's a low B in there somewhere...those strings are barely tied on! ;)
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 5007
    I'd always cross the street to see him play live. But I've never bought any music of his to play at home. Not sure why, because he's really good in performance. 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3592
    I saw him play at Glastonbury in 2005, knew nothing about him before just was walking past a smaller tent and heard a guy singing beautifully.

He started playing a cover version of Jeff Buckley Grace and towards the end of the song he broke a string and sung the last verse acapella whilst restringing his guitar, tuned it up and started strumming again for the last chorus.  His singing throughout this was perfect to the note.

Btw, it wasn't the string change that made the cover what is was, covering Jeff Buckley is a difficult thing to do at the best of times, even with the string break it was just mindblowing.

I was stood right at the front, what amazed me the most were his vocals, they were truly outstanding.

• ColsCols Frets: 7727
    He’s great; I was first introduced to him at a Roy Harper gig where he was opening.  Killer line in self deprecation:

”When I was a teenager, my mum said to me “You know, when your dad gets older you’re probably going to have to support him.  I didn’t realise this was what she meant.”

It was one of those happy times where the support act is utterly brilliant and you end up finding a new great artist entirely by accident.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom