Stage presence

What's Hot
TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7815
Just wondering what you all do to look good on stage...

It's always been a struggle for me. Anyone managed to improve their stage presence?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4604
    edited July 2022
    Top tip is to spread your legs and feet. Is a good rock stance. I also stand in front of the drummer sometimes and rock out only with him. At the end I usually get someone in the crowd to strum my guitar like mad on the last chord like my profile picture 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1369
    I'm guilty of this - staring at my fretboard and pedals. It's a bad habit I really need to address.

I personally feel the way around it is knowing the songs stone cold dead - enough that you barely have to look at your guitar. 

Use the force Master Luke...
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 859
    I just smile, look like I’m enjoying myself and if it’s a tough crowd, focus just over the heads of everyone whilst looking at them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4134
    I think bands who just have guitarists that stand there rigidly, look terrible,  especially oasis. 

So I think,  what would I like to see and try to include a bit of that.   

My aim is to,  look like you're into it, that you're enjoying being up there, that what you're playing moves you, that you're perfectly in control of your instrument. 

A cross between Angus Young and Steve Vai in movement terms. 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2427
    The best advice I've ever had is roughly as follows...

Everyone is nervous when they perform, but you can look confident by controlling the outward signs of nervousness. So, either stand very still, or make expansive, decisive movements -- don't fidget or shuffle around. Fix your gaze in or above the audience -- don't look at your toes, or glance at the audience and then immediately look away as if avoiding eye contact. Talk clearly and loudly or don't talk at all -- don't mumble.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10455
    Feel the music and move with it . When you take a solo raise the guitar a bit and move more towards the front if you can. This lets the non musicians in the audience know you  are doing something and it’s also a good visual clue for any FOH engineer who’s mixing you but not familiar with who does what. 
    Look across the audience and smile .. close your eyes and sing the lyrics. If its
    not moving you then don’t expect it to move them. Never look apologetic for being onstage .. just enjoy it. I used to stand so still they called me the corpse, a couple of thousand gigs changed that but I wish I was more confident earlier in my musical career 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10720
    Silk shirt
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1093
    If you've rehearsed well enough you can concentrate on your performance. Interacting with the audience and smiling is good, they can feel if a band isn't enjoying themselves. Rock stance is important, makes a difference. Also the vibes of the crowd can be a factor, if they're not really responsive and standing their arms folded blankly staring at you its hard.

But yeah you're allowed to enjoy yourself and live in the moment. For about anything else going on and play like its the last time.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8754
    Wireless. I know @Danny1969 prefers cables, but I’ve found wireless liberating because I don’t have to worry about trailing cables catching on something. This means I move about more. We also gave our singer a radio mic, and took away her mic stand, so she moves more too.

Visibly interacting with other band members. Turning round to look at them when they have a key part in the song such as a solo, or even a crash on the drums.

Looking at the back row of audience, and acknowledging anyone who responds to you with a smile or nod, or a wave if you’re not playing. American politicians are taught to walk onto a stage and wave or point at people, often imaginary people, to generate a sense of interaction.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2644
    edited July 2022
    There are some American politicians I can easily see conducting entire conversations with imaginary people. 

Practising small, irrelevant things until they're completely instinctive - taking mics off stands and putting it back (if you're likely to do that sort of thing), putting on and taking off the guitar, that sort of thing. Literally practising, like scales. Things you'd think were just ridiculously simple until you're onstage trying to do them and go all Mr Bean. 
  • This is something I struggle with a bit. It varies depending on the audience too - if there are a few punters up and bopping around a bit I tend to feed off that and become more animated the more animated the audience are. If the venue is half empty and/or everyone is just sat down staring at you, or talking amongst themselves, I find it harder to by more dynamic on stage - my natural, default awkwardness kicks in!
  • THR1LLHAU5THR1LLHAU5 Frets: 180
    edited July 2022
    Was really interesting to read all your approaches here. 

For the music that I play nerves or self-conciousness doesn't really come into it. Whether there's 5 people there or a packed room going nuts my job is to play the songs adequately and thrash about like a lunatic for as much of the set as possible. My main challenge is my fitness, i.e. will I die of exhaustion or drown in my own sweat before the last song is done? Who knows.... it's all part of the fun. 

Thinking about it a bit more cynically (in the sense that we'd all love to think that what we do is pure art and it "just comes out") I suppose recognising that what you're doing is a performance, and an equal, if not bigger, part of that for the audience is what it LOOKS like on stage, with the sound often being a secondary. For me I became more comfortable when I could identify parts and passages that are a little easier to play or the lick is in a part of the fretboard where I can say, lift the guitar up and still nail it, or which riffs I can headbang like a nutter and not miss a note - and on the otherside which parts do I really need to focus on playing (either because they're tricky or I'm singing as well) and maybe just bop along to, or nod my head, get the power stance on etc. 

I guess what I'm saying is get comfortable with your set, and have an awareness of which parts you could be a bit more engaging with the crowd and maybe what does that look like for your vibe/band/genre? I wouldn't do the above mentalness if I were playing at a blues jam, and likewise you wouldn't stare at your feet at an 80's hair rock gig. Give the people what they want. 

One thing that changed the game for me a little bit confidence-wise is the simple truth that the audience WANT to have a good time. They already want you to be awesome and they're ready for you to be kickass and to be on your side. It's really very rare that a room of people expect you to be shite (or why would they have bought a ticket?!) and are there to laugh at you. And if they are? Well, show 'em that they were wrong. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16300
    I think there is something about looking the part although there isn’t a single answer as to what that means. If you can fake it at least some of the audience will believe it! 
    And I’ve spoken on here before about lending focus - it’s good bandmandship to find everything interesting. If you’ve heard the singer’s joke before you can still look like you find it funny and they can pretend to be amazed by your fifteenth pentatonic solo of the evening. 
    And generally trying to look up, smile (okay not in every band), move. Watch other bands and decide what they do well or not. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7815
    Some interesting thoughts and tips in here. 

I think interacting and feeding off of the other band members to convey that "we are having a good time" feeling is a good way to go. 
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3349
    I wear sunglasses, inside or out. A nice trucker jacket, nice jeans. look confident and dont smile.  
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2612
    Always thought the basics are:

1. If you're lucky enough be be good-looking, look as good as possible.
    2. If you're not, look eccentric.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31659
    Stop looking at the damn frets, they haven't bloody moved since the last time you looked!
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9870
    I always think the problem with suddenly deciding to jump around like Busted with a hernia can be that you look awkward and silly if you're not comfortable with it. If you can look confident but are standing still, to me that's absolutely fine if that's where you are comfortable.

I don't think "be confident and it'll be fine" works out. I like the mantra of "Be confident, but have something to be confident about"
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3672

Many moons ago when a new band was getting ready for it’s first gig we videoed a practice (which we treated as a dress rehearsal).  When we played it back we were quite shocked as to how small our movements were.  You need to exaggerate everything – BE BIG, fill whatever space there is, command attention.

Rule of thumb, would you be comfortable walking down the street in the clothes that you wear on stage?  If the answer is yes, go and change.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9736
    First impressions count. The way you dress, the way you stand, etc all make an impression before you’ve even played a note. Definitely worthwhile thinking about things like attire, banter, does the band have (or want) a cohesive look? etc.

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it