Honja Oiler partscaster

Tele-scopicTele-scopic Frets: 65
edited July 2022 in Making & Modding
Thanks to the recent Oil City Telecaster pickup promotion I was inspired to put this together:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9j6ld2per1c1gan/honja1.jpg?raw=1

It's made up of three main bits from exotic locations

Hondo Deluxe 757 body (from Guernsey - £40 for the whole guitar)
Baja Telecaster Neck (from Cullompton Services and a Fretboard member)
Oil City 49ers pickups (from Oil City - they sound great!)

I replaced all the wiring and pots but tried to keep the original hardware of the Hondo.  I found the bridge plate was not to my liking so I replaced it and aged the new one using a vinegar bath (Red wine vinegar of course darling).  However, the pickup selector had screw fittings that were much smaller than the replacements I could find so I reused it.  Dunno if it is 'vintage' spec or just strange:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0gmijz1vwy1q1z3/honjaswitch.jpg?raw=1
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RichACRichAC Frets: 747
    edited July 2022
    That’s a really good job. Did the Fender neck fit the Hondo body without any problems?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thank you!  The neck fitted really well - I filled in the previous neck screw holes and drilled new ones.  Since the picture was taken I've realigned it (as I thought/felt it was at an angle) and there is only a small gap (paper width) with the bottom of the neck pocket.  I had my fingers crossed that the fitting would be close ...

The Oil City 49ers pickups have been revelation - the whole guitar feels really lively and the bridge pickup has become my new favourite.  I usually find a tele bridge pickup too trebly and jarring for my liking but this one has something that seems 'right' - I think @roberty feels the same.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    Yep the 49er bridge pup is excellent. All the good bits and none of the less good bits. Enjoy :)