SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS: Patrick Eggle Berlin Pro *SOLD*

What's Hot
froglordfroglord Frets: 55
edited July 2022 in Guitars £
Patrick Eggle Berlin Pro
Made in June 1993, serial number 1895.

Mahogany back and neck, flamed maple top (amber), ebony fingerboard. 24 jumbo frets on a 25" scale length. Wilkinson VS100 locking tremolo. Two Kent Armstrong humbuckers with a 3-way rotary switch to give humbuckers, inner single coils or outer single coils.

Weight is around 3.3kg (7.3lb).

This is in fantastic condition for a 29 year old guitar. There are a few very minor dinks in the finish (shown in ultra close-up). Fret wear is almost invisible and doesn't affect the playing experience at all. They really knew how to make these to last. Viewed from a distance of a metre, it could have been made yesterday.

There is some slight damage to the bridge. I was once adjusting the two action screws on the high E string, but forgot to loosen the large screw first. The result is that the bridge post sheered off, and the screw would no longer reach the shortened post. I was very annoyed with myself! However, I put in a longer screw and the problem was fixed. It's been in there for over ten years without the slightest problem. But, yes, technically the bridge is slightly damaged.

It comes with the original documentation and a custom Hiscox Liteflite case in British Racing Green.

I've recently put on new strings (9-42), polished the frets with micro mesh and given the fretboard some lemon oil, so it's playing beautifully. Too beautifully, really. I'm feeling a tug of hesitation as I write this, but it's got to go. I haven't played it for years and I'm much more a single-coil, fixed-bridge kind of player these days.

I'd prefer the buyer to collect. I'm in Hampshire and can meet up at a local train station (Havant, Petersfield) or drive a not-too-crazy distance. If postage is the only option, let me know and we can sort something out (at extra cost to the buyer).

£900

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2102
    I got this exact same spec model a couple of years ago...these are excellent  quality and playability....Good luck with the sale.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • froglordfroglord Frets: 55
    spark240 said:
    I got this exact same spec model a couple of years ago...these are excellent  quality and playability....Good luck with the sale.

Cheers!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’m now a PRS guy and currently own 5… but a long time ago I owned a Berlin Pro, and still wonder why on earth I sold it. Fantastic guitars!
    I’m now a PRS guy and currently own 5… but a long time ago I owned a Berlin Pro, and still wonder why on earth I sold it. Fantastic guitars!

There's a fairly big crossover between PRS and Patrick Eggle, to be sure.
  • RevMattRevMatt Frets: 865
    I presume the notoriously complex trem arm is included?
    RevMatt said:
    I presume the notoriously complex trem arm is included?

Yes it is, and yes, it is!

You've got three options:
    1. Use the full locking tremolo and accept that it's going to need a bit of fiddling (however, I adjusted it just now and it wasn't as difficult as I remember).
    2. Remove the nut from the back to give a traditional, non-locking, floating trem.
    3. Jam a bit of wood behind the trem block, remove a couple of the trem springs and you've got a pseudo-hardtail (I'll include the bit of mahogany I used to do this).

• swillerswiller Frets: 1677
    GLWTS. 

I played an LA standard (3 SC pickups)1993 recently and was blown away, by feel and tone. Felt way more pro than my 2XHB PRS CE24 from 2009 and toe to toe with fender custom shop strats that i tried recently in shops. The thing was insanely good. 
    pretty sure a 1993 is OG patrick eggle is his early handmade years and thus way more sought after. Sold "patrick eggle" company in 1994 and trades as "patrick james eggle" with prices for his used guitars £2.5k+.
    £900 ? Complete bargain. 

Dont worry, be silly.
  • RevMattRevMatt Frets: 865
    Completely agree with the comments about the quality of these, (having owned more Eggles than I dare admit to). For clarity, by 1993 PEG was quite a big operation and not handmade - the very early ones (1991) that had no volute on the neck were reputed to have hand carved necks but after that everything was CNC.

New PJEs are very different with a very different comparative retail price to the original PEGs but the Berlin's still represent great value compared to other sub £1k guitars
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1701
    edited July 2022
    Lovely Berlin. Fwiw I think the volute makes for a much nicer feeling neck, and is yet another classy little touch on a guitar that is full of them. (I may not be entirely unbiased here..)

Best of luck with the sale. I suspect tho like others, you may come to regret it
    Now sold!