Pink paisley 2 - the return!

What's Hot
I thought I was done with project guitars (and more guitars in general)..... but after some chance searching, I found another Allparts Pink Paisley body available brand new on Reverb. @lamf68 convinced me to go for it (I'll be honest, I didn't need any convincing  ;) ) and got it ordered. 

I'd had the idea for this since completing my original Allparts paisley before, it's a non traditional Tele, but much more useful for me in the music I play. 

Spec;
Allparts pink paisley body
22 fret Birdseye maple big headstock neck (CBS Strat) from @GSPBASSES ;
P90 in the neck (maybe even staple) and humbucker in the bridge (both likely from Mojo)
Locking tuners (likely Gotoh, not quite there yet)

The body is now with my preferred luthier to route out the new pickup holes, I've also sent over the pick guard(s - spare... just in case) to get that routed for the P90 and bridge). Graham has purchased the wood for the neck, so we are on!

Hoping it comes out something like this, but with a Birdseye maple headstock of course (headstock logo undecided, either my signature like my rosewood necks, or another paisley one).

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15269
    Wot? No Filter'Tron?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 769
    Wot? No Filter'Tron?
    Brilliant idea. GuitarFetish sell a traditional Tele style bridge cut for a no-ears Filtertron. It has the same external dimensions as a vintage three saddle bridge - a no-ears Filtertron is no wider than a slanted a Tele bridge pickup. Obviously there is routing to do, but it is possible to go from the Filtertron bridge back to a vintage three saddle Tele bridge and the vintage bridge will hide the Filtertron rout. Also works with regular Tele pickguards 
    @PVO_Dave I'm curious to know how the person who is routing the body gets along with it - easy or not, any problems etc. Any feedback from them would be useful. The reason I ask is that when I had my Allparts Paisley I fancied different pickups but ultimately didn't dare to rout for them. My understanding was that the Paisley pattern is a fabric on the Allparts bodies - I had no idea how it would behave with the router and was concerned it might cause problems. I figured I would first cut the finish with a sharp craft knife as I always do when routing finished bodies, and obviously I'd use a sharp cutter, shallow passes etc but I was still reticent. Anyway, if you do get any feedback r.e. the routing I'd love to hear back.
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2392
    @PVO_Dave I'm curious to know how the person who is routing the body gets along with it - easy or not, any problems etc. Any feedback from them would be useful. The reason I ask is that when I had my Allparts Paisley I fancied different pickups but ultimately didn't dare to rout for them. My understanding was that the Paisley pattern is a fabric on the Allparts bodies - I had no idea how it would behave with the router and was concerned it might cause problems. I figured I would first cut the finish with a sharp craft knife as I always do when routing finished bodies, and obviously I'd use a sharp cutter, shallow passes etc but I was still reticent. Anyway, if you do get any feedback r.e. the routing I'd love to hear back.
    I asked the exact same question, I was more worried about the thick top-coat cracking than the "wallpaper" underneath. 

The guy doing the work is really experienced though, so if anyone can do it, it'll be him :) 
    On CBS-era Fenders, it was "traditional" for the gloopy poly finish to crack at the slightest provocation. Overtighten a pickguard screw and … curses!  :'(

GuitarFetish sell a traditional Tele style bridge cut for a no-ears Filtertron. It has the same external dimensions as a vintage three saddle bridge - a no-ears Filtertron is no wider than a slanted a Tele bridge pickup. Obviously, there is routing to do but it is possible to go from the Filtertron bridge back to a vintage three saddle Tele bridge and the vintage bridge will hide the Filtertron rout.  
    This mod is exactly what I did on my G&L Tribute ASAT Classic.

More recently, I further extended the rout to accommodate a Glendale Strate Plate™ bridge and Seymour Duncan CS Pearly Gates for Telecaster pickup.*

I like the Gibbons mod idea but reckon that the TV Jones bridge and 'Tron option will be more appropriate on the Sen body of the G&L.

* Both items were acquired pre-owned. It is my sincerest hope that Duncan will eventually launch their Red Devil pickup in Telecaster format.
    edited July 2022
    Back from having the routing done! 

Really neat work - hard to tell because it looks wonky thanks to the original bridge pickup hole!

With the bridge plate in place. 

Next jobs, order some pickups and some other small bits and start drilling some holes! 

Pickguard will be modified once all those jobs are done.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @PVO_Dave I have Paisley envy!
    If you trust the original finish to stay put, it might be wiser not to have pink sprayed around the P90 cavity. 

I have Paisley envy!
    I am envious of the squared off end of the Allparts control cavity. Just enough extra space to accommodate a fancy selector switch for addition coil combinations.
    If you trust the original finish to stay put, it might be wiser not to have pink sprayed around the P90 cavity. 

I have Paisley envy!
    I am envious of the squared off end of the Allparts control cavity. Just enough extra space to accommodate a fancy selector switch for addition coil combinations.
    Not sure on the spraying round the pick guard, mainly because of the channel between the neck pocket and pickup, think it'll need it, will worry about that once the neck is done and I can test fit stuff :) 

Some other progress:

Pickups ordered;

From Mojo, so around a 40 day wait from time of ordering (weekend just gone).

Neck is underway, but again will take a while due to holidays etc.. it's going to be a beauty though!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Pickups arrived earlier than expected from Mojo :) 

Once the neck is done, will see if it needs a pick guard! - I think it will still to cover the channel between the neck and neck pickup, but being a 22 fret neck, it will have a shelf :) 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    I do love a birdseye maple neck. 

Getting closer now, frets to be dressed and tuner holes to be drilled :) 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    All done - wasn't much to update after this, ran so short on time, I outsourced nearly everything to the luthier guy I know:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/237251/ngd-pink-paisley-3-purists-avoid?new=1