Acoustic Bass

What's Hot
personalnadirpersonalnadir Frets: 355
Had a little play with an amazing Taylor GS Mini Bass today. Loads of fun - took me completely by surprise, made me think about picking up an acoustic bass for noodling around with.

Has anyone else gotten themselves an acoustic bass and if so how have you gotten one with it? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14466
    To work in an ensemble context, it REALLY needs to be an electro-acoustic bass guitar. Without amplification, an acoustic bass guitar will always be too quiet. You would find yourself overplaying in a desperate attempt to be heard.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve got an old Dean Rhapsody for playing with others - might use an acoustic bass for playing with a quiet acoustic guitar, but mostly for home noodling and recording 
  • ReggaebassReggaebass Frets: 63
    I’ve got a Lindo electro acoustic bass with flats, really nice sound both plugged and unplugged, but I find the body quite big depth wise for me, I’ll probably move it on for a slimmer one which is a bit more comfortable for noodling around with, the Ibanez SRH looks nice 
    Riddim up
  • I’ve got a Lindo electro acoustic bass with flats, really nice sound both plugged and unplugged, but I find the body quite big depth wise for me, I’ll probably move it on for a slimmer one which is a bit more comfortable for noodling around with, the Ibanez SRH looks nice 
    Those SRH look fantastic, thanks 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ReggaebassReggaebass Frets: 63
    I’ve got a Lindo electro acoustic bass with flats, really nice sound both plugged and unplugged, but I find the body quite big depth wise for me, I’ll probably move it on for a slimmer one which is a bit more comfortable for noodling around with, the Ibanez SRH looks nice 
    They do come up now and again and normally at a very reasonable price, it’s worth keeping an eye out, they seem to get very good reviews 
    Riddim up
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3311
    Had a little play with an amazing Taylor GS Mini Bass today. Loads of fun - took me completely by surprise, made me think about picking up an acoustic bass for noodling around with.

Has anyone else gotten themselves an acoustic bass and if so how have you gotten one with it? 

I, too, like the Taylor but if this was in the running for you, just be aware that the strings for this are very expensive (@£34) - I'm not sure about the last sentence

The Taylor GS Mini Bass features custom strings that were designed exclusively for the unique properties of this instrument. The strings are D’Addario GS Mini Bass Custom Light (.037-.050-.062-.090”), featuring a multifilament core wound with D’Addario’s EXP-coated phosphor bronze wrap wire for long-lasting tone and projection. Because of the shorter scale length (23.5 inches) and other proprietary design features, no other strings can be used. Doing so could potentially damage the instrument.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14466
    the Ibanez SRH looks nice 
    They do come up now and again and, normally, at a very reasonable price, it’s worth keeping an eye out, they seem to get very good reviews 
    @Bridgehouse had an SRH-500F. He seemed to rate it BEFORE he invested in the cooler Shuker. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • diapdiap Frets: 135
    Kebabkid said:
    I, too, like the Taylor but if this was in the running for you, just be aware that the strings for this are very expensive (@£34) - I'm not sure about the last sentence

The Taylor GS Mini Bass features custom strings that were designed exclusively for the unique properties of this instrument. The strings are D’Addario GS Mini Bass Custom Light (.037-.050-.062-.090”), featuring a multifilament core wound with D’Addario’s EXP-coated phosphor bronze wrap wire for long-lasting tone and projection. Because of the shorter scale length (23.5 inches) and other proprietary design features, no other strings can be used. Doing so could potentially damage the instrument.
    You seen the price of flats for a regular electric?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    My friend gigs with some kind of ukulele bass in a folk rock kinda thing. Same friend who used to gig with a 70s Les Paul so he's doing something kinder for his back now! Not necessarily the most versatile instrument and presumably at high volumes would feedback like buggery but works for what they do. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 241
    I've a Washburn for sale in Bass£ if you'd be interested?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    the Ibanez SRH looks nice 
    They do come up now and again and, normally, at a very reasonable price, it’s worth keeping an eye out, they seem to get very good reviews 
    @Bridgehouse had an SRH-500F. He seemed to rate it BEFORE he invested in the cooler Shuker. 
    I did. It was very nice. Good piezo. It went when the Shuker got all the love
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1351
    Acoustic basses are perfect for noodling at home, but little else. I have two, a Washburn AB10, which is entry level but very playable and a Godin A5 fretless which has the best sound of any fretless I have played, as well as having a fast, flat, wide fretboard which is perfect for me.
    They are great for writing and working parts out and as a stand alone instrument, but in a band context where amplification is required, you might as well use your regular bass
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KristoKristo Frets: 131
    I’ve just listed my Guild Junior Jumbo bass in the classifieds if it’s of interest. 
  • Grabbed a second hand Taylor GS Mini from BassBros. Been a lot of fun to play, have been using with acoustic guitar and kalimba with a looper which has been a really nice change of tone from the synths and electrics I usually use.

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2417
    Maybe I'm missing something but these acoustic basses have always struck me as the most pointless instruments ever. Unless you plug them in they are completely inaudible and have no bass to speak of, so why wouldn't you just use an electric bass?
  • Stuckfast said:
    Maybe I'm missing something but these acoustic basses have always struck me as the most pointless instruments ever. Unless you plug them in they are completely inaudible and have no bass to speak of, so why wouldn't you just use an electric bass?
    Sounds fab, looks cool and is fun to play, same reason for buying any instrument. That's all subjective obviously.

Using it plugged in I actually prefer the sounds from the acoustic over the electrical. It has a different tone and sits out in the mix better. I'm planning to jam with a friend with an acoustic guitar this or next week and I think I'm getting enough volume out of it to be able to do so without needing to plug it in.

Using a DB meter app (which I accept may not be the best test, but is easy to do) my acoustic guitar and acoustic bass are both hitting 85-91. Don't think you could tell the difference looking at the output. Obviously the guitar is clearer due to the frequencies, and if you were doing much more than a living room jam you'd need an amp.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72420
    Stuckfast said:
    Because sometimes the management take offence at something that looks like an "electric guitar" when they thought they had booked an acoustic act. "That's not acoustic" etc... even if the end result is the same volume.

And what personalnadir said - you can use them for their own sound even if you have to plug them in for it to be really useful in most situations.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2287
    Maybe consider a Kala U-Bass or similar - thumpy amplified acoustic bass sound in a convenient small package.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Keefy said:
    Maybe consider a Kala U-Bass or similar - thumpy amplified acoustic bass sound in a convenient small package.
    I saw Dave Pegg playing one of those a few years back and his sound was fantastic. But they must feel odd to play.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2287
    mart said:
    Keefy said:
    I saw Dave Pegg playing one of those a few years back and his sound was fantastic. But they must feel odd to play.
    Yes, in two ways. First, the scale length is so short that I have to look at the fretboard the whole time otherwise I continually play a fret too high. Second, the rubbery strings feel better to play when your fingers are wet so I sometimes lick them while I’m playing - my fingers that is, not the strings.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom