Boss DF-2 question

robwrightrobwright Frets: 739
edited September 2014 in FX
Is the Boss DF-2 Super Distortion Feedbacker really worth twice as much as the Feedbacker Distortion? I've got one of the Distortion Feedbacker models and its not for me so I was looking at prices to sell it. It seems that when Boss were forced to reverse the Distortion and Feedbacker it was massively detrimental to the sound of the pedal??!!! Is there really any difference or is it vintage snobbery?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Cork-sniffery.

Does a Broadcaster sound similar to a Tele? Same reason for the change.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73157
    edited September 2014
    There is no difference whatever other than the print on the switch rocker.

I have owned both (technically four of them, two of each :) ) at the same time, and they were all exactly the same.

That said, the Super Distortion & Feedbacker is still cooler because it's the original, is rarer, and pissed off Dimarzio :D.

How much do you want for it? ;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thats what I thought!

ICBM - going to reassess the pedal and see what the fuss is about(!) but will let you know if I do sell it.

• No difference, i've owned both.

These pedals have a bad rep, but I quite like them.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73157
    These pedals have a bad rep, but I quite like them.
    I like them better than any other distortion pedal ever made.

For me, they're a fantastic quite amp-like distortion - similar to a DS-1, although not the same, it's more midrangy and less buzzy - coupled with a very useful "feedback" generator, which - although it doesn't sound exactly like real amp feedback - can be used to simulate it at lower volume than you could get it naturally, and for other more unusual things too, eg a drone generator or a pseudo ring-modulator, or (if you learn to deliberately trigger it on a glitch) a random noise generator. There is a learning curve to triggering the feedback correctly to make it either sound natural or not, and I suspect this is what stops some people… you don't just turn the pedal on and expect it to produce 'feedback'.

I'm certain the two versions are the same PCB inside because I had all of them apart to do a small modification - the stock output level is slightly too quiet if you run the gain low, even with the level knob maxed. You fix this by bypassing the resistor which feeds the level pot.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Yes, as it has a 2 in the name......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)