The perfect version of ....

What's Hot
TanninTannin Frets: 6020
Sometimes, someone plays a song so well that there simply isn't any way to improve it. It's not just the best that that particular song can be, it's somewhere in the ballpark of being the best that any song can be.

Once in a while I happen to hear, for example, Bob Segar's Nightmoves. How could you improve on that song? Change the words? Change the chord sequence? Change Segar's voice? Rearrange it? Change the delivery? No, no, no, no, and hell no! It is that very rare thing in music, a perfect moment. Let's make a list:

* Bob Segar, Nightmoves,
* Simon and Garfunkel: Sounds of Silence (or any of about eight other Paul Simon songs!)
* Jetthro Tull Aqualung
* The Beatles: Paperback Writer. (An odd choice? Maybe. But you could choose any of 15 or 20.)
* The Beach Boys: Good Vibrations.
* ....... and more.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 4211
    Fairport’s “Who knows where the tome goes?”, Jeff Buckley’s version of “Hallelujah”, Dylan’s “Positively 4th Street “. 
    Trading feedback thread:https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/172761/drofluf

Sporky: "Drofluf is a reverse vampire, who always appears in mirrors."
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3274
    Happens a lot with folk interpretations. Amazes me sometimes that some versions ever see the light of day. Vin Garbutt's Lovers Ghost stands out (as a how to do it) and pretty much all of the early Clannad stuff.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8078
    Long thread, would include most famous songs by the most famous musicians....

IE take the Rolling Stones or AC/DC best of, could you imagine these songs being done better by anyone else? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8684
    drofluf said:
    Fairport’s “Who knows where the tome goes?”, 
    A stunning song but for me the definitive version is the acoustic one Denny did for the Peel Sessions.

IMO, it has a stripped back, haunting melancholy, particularly  Denny's vocal, that surpasses the Fairport version. 
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 740
    Yet these songs are covered, often badly. Good Vibrations has been covered by Todd Rundgren, the Flaming Lips, the Cowsills, the King's Singers, Hugo Montenegro and many others. Night Moves was covered by the Drifters and several others who remain obscure.

This evening on the radio I heard the opening bars someone's version of Sunshine of your Love, one of 140 covers of Cream's song. I turned the radio off.

Fortunately, nobody has ever recorded a version of Dolly Mixture's How Come You're  Such a Hit with the Boys, Jane. It remains unsullied by a cappella, loungecore or metal interpretations.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 4211
    Kilgore said:
    drofluf said:
    Fairport’s “Who knows where the tome goes?”, 
    A stunning song but for me the definitive version is the acoustic one Denny did for the Peel Sessions.

IMO, it has a stripped back, haunting melancholy, particularly  Denny's vocal, that surpasses the Fairport version. 
    Thanks, I’ll have to check that version out. 
    Trading feedback thread:https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/172761/drofluf

Sporky: "Drofluf is a reverse vampire, who always appears in mirrors."
  • DuploLicksDuploLicks Frets: 274
    IE take the Rolling Stones or AC/DC best of, could you imagine these songs being done better by anyone else? 
    I’d take the Sundays cover of Wild Horses any day :)
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10389
    I'd like to offer the following for consideration:

Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
    Nancy Sinatra - Bang Bang
    Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge over troubled water

I had going to suggest Black Hole Sun but I can already think of three versions I love (original, a Cornell solo performance, and also a Norah Jones cover just after he died) so I can't include that really
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    Elvis - That's Alright Mama. 
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7581
    I can’t imagine anyone but The Doors covering ‘Riders on the storm’ with any great authenticity .

Jim Morrison may have behaved like a bit of an arse but he was such a great fit for the band
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Seems like a strange observation to me. I'd probably put 99.9% of original songs in that category. I rarely hear a song and think ..... hmmmmn .... I like that but it would have been better if they had done [insert thing here]. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    I can’t imagine anyone but The Doors covering ‘Riders on the storm’ with any great authenticity .

Jim Morrison may have behaved like a bit of an arse but he was such a great fit for the band
    So you haven't heard Annabel Lamb's definitive version? [tongue firmly in cheek]
    Most songs can be improved by a William Shatner version. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5110
    Ride On, written by Jimmy MacCarthy but IMHO the best recorded version is by Christy Moore. 

Rosalie, recorded by Bob Seger but I don’t think there is a better take on the song than that of Thin Lizzie. 

Hard to imagine a better version of The Air That I Breathe than the original by The Hollies. 

And I doubt that anyone can better the original version of Baker Street....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• SRichSRich Frets: 765
    Sir Paul’s Maybe I’m Amazed ticks all the boxes in the most part, but The Faces live version maintains the emotion and adds a very respectful solo

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    Tough call. I think ‘Golden Slumbers’ by The Beatles probably fits the bill.
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 960
    Eva Cassidy's version of Fields of Gold is the best I've heard.

Interesting to note that Sting stated that it blew his original version out of the water!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3131
    I know he's been cancelled but Ryan Adams's version of Wonderwall is incredible imo. Even Noel's live version had elements of it for a while.. it's back to being like the Oasis version again.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• TanninTannin Frets: 6020
    axisus said:
    Seems like a strange observation to me. I'd probably put 99.9% of original songs in that category. 
    If it was the observation you think it was it would indeed by a bit strange. If, on the other hand, you had actually read the post, you would not say such a silly thing.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4126
    Johnny Cash: Folsom Prison Blues