My First Bass build - Short scale (30") and a bit of experimentation with the fretboard... Finished.

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 5110
    Stunning work.  Words fail me.........
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JGTayJGTay Frets: 210
    Thanks @Rocker ; :3
    I am very happy with how it is coming along. The strings are due to arrive tomorrow, should be a busy day getting the electrics done and hopefully doing a full set up before the final clean up and pics. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    Yeah this is glorious. I keep showing people 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks @Roberty ; :3

Didn't get as much time as I had hoped today. Managed to get all the wiring done, but the other bits will have to wait until tomorrow. 
    Managed to get the final bits done today. :) 

The spaghetti wiring which was completed yesterday. I had some left over copper sheet, so put it over the soldering on the back of the pots.

Made a truss rod cover this morning.

And tested in place.

Then gave it a coat of oil. It will need more but it will do for now.

I then got it all strung up and everything in place for the weigh in, the screen on our scales is a bit dim, time for a new set.

It shows 7.3 1/4 lbs. which isn't too bad. Happy with that.

Glamour shots coming up next.  =)
    Here we go, final pics... sorry there are quite a few.  :3

Extremely pleased with how it has come out. I am not a bass player, this is the one I will be learning on, so no sound clips just yet.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I love it @JGTay. Amazing work. Does the truss cover stay in place with no screws? What a clever  innovation 
    edited August 2022
    roberty said:
    I love it @JGTay. Amazing work. Does the truss cover stay in place with no screws? What a clever  innovation 
    Thank you. :3

Yes, it just slots in place and is a nice tight fit. 
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3129
    Absolutely beautiful job, @JGTay ;   Top drawer :)
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6317
    Beautiful work, truly a hand made instrument.
    Absolutely beautiful job, @JGTay ;   Top drawer :)
    Thanks Andy, really appreciate it.  :3
    JezWynd said:
    Beautiful work, truly a hand made instrument.
    Thanks Jez. The wife loves it, she wants it hung up on the living room wall next to the oak hollow body guitar I made a couple of years ago.  =)

Having never played a bass guitar before, I have got to say this is a revelation for me, it is very comfortable moving up and down the neck and plays extremely well. I have been using it on rocksmith constantly for the past couple of days and having a lot of fun. 

I know RS isn't the best way to learn, but I don't have a bass amp yet so using this through my PlayStation with my 5.1 speaker set up is the best option at the moment.  :#
    @JGTay bass is a lot of fun. I found I became less fussy about guitar necks once I was accustomed to swapping between bass and guitar 
    roberty said:
    @JGTay bass is a lot of fun. I found I became less fussy about guitar necks once I was accustomed to swapping between bass and guitar 
    Definitely.  :) 

It's funny how I am finding using a plectrum so much easier on the bass, with guitar I always use fingers and keep the nails on my right hand longer for plucking. I am struggling with the fingering techniques on bass, but will persevere with it. Hopefully when I get a bass amp I will be able to concentrate better on the different techniques. 
    JGTay said:
    roberty said:
    Definitely.  :) 

It's funny how I am finding using a plectrum so much easier on the bass, with guitar I always use fingers and keep the nails on my right hand longer for plucking. I am struggling with the fingering techniques on bass, but will persevere with it. Hopefully when I get a bass amp I will be able to concentrate better on the different techniques. 
    Cool, good luck with it. I started learning finger style on bass but my impatience got the better of me :-)