Marshall 1987x Plexi - master volume mod or not??

Torn. I LOVE the sound of this head....BUT....it's just to darn loud even for the relative loud punk gigs I normally do!
I tried various  things like powersoaks etc but the reality is that its just to much hassle to schlep all that extra stuff and also creating issues when sharing backline etc. So - what's master volume mods are out there and how good do they sound? (yes I trolled the net/youtube but is any the wiser). Any input welcome (oh and also tips on whow could do one in London where I live)

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    edited September 2014

I think an MV mod will definitely make the amp much more useble and versatile for you.   Where abouts in London are you? Malcolm Hine (Edonton N18) could do this - great guy, very reasonable, straight as a die, excellent work.  Malcolm is my amp and guitar tech, and he's sorted out both of my Marshall combo's for me, has repotted p/ups on my Tele and SG, and set up 4 of my guitars so I would recommend him without hesitation - and as a gigging musician too, he knows what sounds good and will give you honest reliable advice!  he's been working on amps (worked for Fender, Andy's in Denmark Street, etc) for well over a quarter century:

http://www.mphguitars.co.uk/mphhome.html

Rich 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    Post-Phase-Inverter Master Volume (AKA Ken Fischer MV) with the control fitted in the second speaker jack hole so you don't need to drill it. The best master volume mod there is.

Less work/least invasive - 'Cross line' master (AKA Matchless MV). This can work well for moderate reduction but tends to sound worse than the PPIMV when it's turned down a long way.

Most work/most invasive - power scaling of some sort. Ask @jpfamps (I think!) for more of an idea how much this would cost and whether he could do it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Hi Rich

thanks for input. Just fired off an email to Malcolm so let see what happens. Cheers!

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3646
    You could get yourself a blackstar HT Drive pedal and use that in front to get a bit of dirt. It uses an ECC83 valve (amongst other things) to get the overdrive and is not a whole lot different to pushing the marshall. Used they are cheap enough and have no cost/effect on the amplifier, plus you can sell it and recoup the money.
    Will it be the same as a cooking marshall? No, and neither will a MV control. But then even attenuators don't because part of the 'sound' is the ears reaction to the overall volume thing.
    Been using mine for several years now and it's a fine option at very gentle crunch through to full overdrive whilst retaining some touch sensitivity.