Anyone played Victorious?

What's Hot
KeefyKeefy Frets: 2322
edited July 2022 in Live
My Bowie tribute Rebel Heroes has a slot on the comedy/tribute stage at Victorious (Southsea near Portsmouth) over the Bank Holiday weekend. Anyone else played this festival?
- Organisation
- Treatment of bands
- FOH sound - just a line check, no sound check as such, so I guess it will be mixed on the fly
- Monitoring - wedges?
- I'm told there is backline provided - what did you get? I've already told the bass player and other guitarist that they will get practice amps - a Gorilla 10W and a Woolworths 'Audition' 1x4 respectively - whereas I bagsy the Line 6 Spider 15W.

How was it for you?
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10455
    edited July 2022
    Loads of times and playing this year too. I'm in a Kate Bush tribute playing on the Saturday so we are probably on the same stage. 
    Normally just a line check, I've used supplied backline and taken my own but be careful what you take as you get trollyed in on a golf cart normally but won't get any help getting your gear out. This year I'm using a Pod Go which will fit in a gig bag with the guitar. 

Wedges normally but active ones will generally have a pass thru if you want to use ears. 
    I've always been treated well, never had a problem on any of the stages, big or small. Obviously you can't expect too much though in the way of a personalised monitor mix or a polished FOH mix, best bet is keep it simple and make it as easy as possible for them to mix. 
    The best thing about it is the 3 day pass and how easy it is to smuggle your alcohol in with your music gear. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2322
    edited July 2022
    @Danny1969 we’re on 19.45-20.45 between Fleetingwood Mac and the Bog Rolling Stones.

I’m planning to take just guitars and pedalboard. Fortunately my main drive pedal is a RevivalDrive so I can tweak it to suit whatever the amp is. I don’t have high expectations of the monitor mix!

No interest in alcohol on the gig, it messes with my concentration plus I’ll probably be driving.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That's cool I'll be watching your set, me and the wife are huge Bowie fans. @Trude on here is in the Bogs, be watching that as well they are a great bunch. 
    Lets hope the weather is kind on the day.
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:
    That's cool I'll be watching your set, me and the wife are huge Bowie fans. @Trude on here is in the Bogs, be watching that as well they are a great bunch. 
    Lets hope the weather is kind on the day.
    Fantastic, I'm hoping to stick around for the Bogs' set, used to play in a Stones tribute myself. Come up and say hello if you get the chance, I look a bit like Shrek but not as green.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3011
    Southsea near Portsmouth. Love that, it's a very fine line....... =)
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    blobb said:
    'Southsea is a seaside resort and a geographic area of Portsmouth' according to Wikipedia, so yeah, my bad!
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 915
    Hey @Keefy , make sure you come and say hi! By the time you guys finish I'll probably be fully Keefed up, so will be pretty easy to recognise!

I've always brought my own amp to Victorious so don't have any experiences with backline to share. This year I'll have my Quilter Cub UK which is dinky and weighs nothing. If I get there early enough you'd be welcome to use it if that helps.

Last time we played the main stage the monitor guy gave me a receiver to use with my own in-ears, which was a huge improvement over wedges. Handy because as Keef I do like to stagger around the stage a bit! Not sure if the Tribute stage will be that fancy though. I'm hoping for a wired monitor feed so I can use the combined guitar/IEM cable that our very own @Danny1969 made up for me!

It'll be a pretty weird one for us though - our last gig was pre-Covid, and we weren't 100% sure if the phone was going to start ringing again tbh. I've done loads of solo and trio gigs lately, so this is my first foray back into wigs and costumes! :D
    Annoyingly I'm gigging for the rest of the weekend, so not sure how much I'll be able to see on the other days.

When are you playing @Danny1969 ? You guys are going great guns, so would love to see ya! Something tells me you're going to get a massive crowd!

Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    Trude said:
    Hey @Keefy , make sure you come and say hi! By the time you guys finish I'll probably be fully Keefed up, so will be pretty easy to recognise!

I've always brought my own amp to Victorious so don't have any experiences with backline to share. This year I'll have my Quilter Cub UK which is dinky and weighs nothing. If I get there early enough you'd be welcome to use it if that helps.

I was backstage once, fully Keefed up as you put it, and my friend walked straight past without recognising me!

I'm somewhat precious about my Matchless Lightning, not so much if I have to drag it half a mile in the blazing heat and/or pouring rain...
    Trude said:

When are you playing @Danny1969 ? You guys are going great guns, so would love to see ya! Something tells me you're going to get a massive crowd!

Stranger things have happened!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3011
    Keefy said:
    blobb said:
    'Southsea is a seaside resort and a geographic area of Portsmouth' according to Wikipedia, so yeah, my bad!
    Anything north of Fratton bridge, eh. (Portsmuthian in-joke)

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4814
    Never played Victorious, but I've been as a customer and it's well organised and civilised compared to so many others. Not going this year, but have fun! 
    @Trude ;
    Thanks, bout 5:30 I think 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • borntohangborntohang Frets: 158
    I was booked for the main stage in 2018 (whenever Paul Weller was headlining) and didn't have a great experience.

Weather had been horrible for the whole trip South and when we got to site it was howling sideways so the site was basically underwater, which obviously isn't the fault of the festival. We got to stage to check conditions and they were already pulling down lighting and monitors but said we could still play acoustic; no monitoring or power available but they would erect a gazebo under the main canopy for our singer to play under; if we declined that setup we wouldn't get any kind of payment. I asked the stage manager if he would let one of his acts play in those conditions and his reply was along the lines of "Oh hell no, I'm just passing on what I've been told". 

In the end we declined and went to find a bar who would put us on a performance for those who still wanted to see us. The opening band before us took the gazebo option and played to nobody as the arena was still shut to try and clear some of the water up. The stage crew were all as professional about things as they could be under those circumstances and we had no argument with them either.

I got the impression we caught management in the middle of the proverbial muck hitting the fan and they were scrambling for options, but also that they were mostly concerned about not having to cancel our set and therefore pay our fee over anything else. We also got bumped from Cardiff Pride the same day for the same reasons and they had no problem cancelling our set and settling up with us before we'd even set off for the venue, so at least we got an early night.

Had friends play since then and heard no complaints so expect this was a unique issue, but just thought I'd mention it. Shame because the site and lineup looked amazing. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I remember that year, weather was awful. We bailed and I ended up gigging in a large tent near Butser hill. 

The main stage is the real one and handled by the festival, I've never done it but @Trude has ..... the smaller stages are generally handled by local businesses  ... Casemates, Mayfield Studios etc so those will always be a variable experience with different people every time. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    I’m hoping for good weather, which of course is far from guaranteed in this country!
    Weather is looking good for Saturday We're in a tent but even so. We're on at the same time as Kula Shaker and The Wombats - not sure whether that's a good thing or not!

Our bass player is recovering from a broken scaphoid (wrist bone) so I will be back on bass for this gig. Just hope the provided bass amp has a proper EQ and not just a graphic  :3
  • Have a great gig @keefy!
    Have a great gig @keefy!
    Cheers Mark!
    We are on the Casemates stage apparently, not the tribute tent. Only doing 6 numbers then will be watching as many other Fretboarders as poss
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 915
    We should have a Fretboard after-party! 
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    Trude said:
    We should have a Fretboard after-party! 
    Hoping I can stick around for your set when we’re finished but somewhat dependent on my lift home!