Jeff Beck, Depp.

What's Hot
artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
I love dear old Jeff, I quite like his pal as a bit of a drunken actor type, but, bloody hell, easily the worst piece of work JB has put his name to ( I include Hi Ho Silver Lining ). Depp is bloody awful as a singer throughout. Feels like I have just spent Saturday night listening to a great covers band with a very drunk member of the audience upfront. I honestly thought that Depp might have been better at this sort of stuff, based on the fact that the general requirement for rep these days is for an actor to be able to sing etc. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10389
    edited July 2022
    That's a shame, he's normally pretty good live (check out Beck & Depp's cover of Isolation on YouTube), so I'd assumed his studio recording would be decent. Admittedly I've only heard (no pun intended) him do covers though and I assume this album has originals on it?
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2572
    edited July 2022
    I can’t help but feel it is little more than publicity for the pair of them. 

Depp needs some good publicity and although Beck doesn’t ‘need’ him, very few people outside of music circles will have the first clue who Jeff is, other than that bloke who did Hi Ho Silver Lining in the ‘60s. So it won’t do either of them any harm. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SchmoSchmo Frets: 175
    artiebear said:
    I love dear old Jeff, I quite like his pal as a bit of a drunken actor type, but, bloody hell, easily the worst piece of work JB has put his name to ( I include Hi Ho Silver Lining ). Depp is bloody awful as a singer throughout. Feels like I have just spent Saturday night listening to a great covers band with a very drunk member of the audience upfront. I honestly thought that Depp might have been better at this sort of stuff, based on the fact that the general requirement for rep these days is for an actor to be able to sing etc. 
    I agree with you mate !

Jeff is one of the all-time kings of guitar for me and clearly he surrounds himself with talented musicians but I don't like certain line-ups he's put together & music he's put out...

Much prefer Jeff as the sole guitarist with a really great keyboard player (Rebello/Sancious/Hammer/Hymas etc) - also the choice of drummer/bassist sways me (Bozzio/Colaiuta/Wilkenfeld). These are the line-ups I've gone to see and have been killer shows, also the Mondesir Bros were fantastic with Jan Hammer.

The current line-up/the Jennifer Batten, Rosie Bones, Carmen Vanderberg years really don't do it for me !

Still the man, though...
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1375
    I saw Jeff Beck on his recent Tour, and had to put up with Johnny Depp coming on and doing a number of songs...Depp's vocals were dreadful, and, as became the norm on this Tour, the audience cheered when a roadie came on and removed his microphone.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34318
    The only decent song on the album is Venus in Furs- Depp's voice suits that and the arrangement is good.

Rest of the album is so bad that I am wondering if Depp has some dirt on Beck and is blackmailing him to do it?
    (Just kidding Jonny...please don't sue me).

• RabsRabs Frets: 2648
    tFB Trader
    I saw Jeff Beck on his recent Tour, and had to put up with Johnny Depp coming on and doing a number of songs...Depp's vocals were dreadful, and, as became the norm on this Tour, the audience cheered when a roadie came on and removed his microphone.
    Yup... I saw them too at the Albert Hall..  Wasnt great...  At the time I wondered if it was me.. They have released some on youtube now..  And even the studio version isnt great.. You have to wonder whats going on here?  In saying that, Jeff has nothing to prove to anyone.. If thats what he wants to do, so be it...

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10389
    I quite enjoyed those two to be honest
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3500
    I like it, and Im not a Jeff Beck fan
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Not hear any of it but I love both guys so I have decided I like it.
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 953
    edited July 2022
    Depp and Beck are  killer talents in their respective fields,  but that was dreadful 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom