SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sold: 2019 Gretsch 6120-SW, Magic Black and sparkles!

What's Hot
DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
edited July 2022 in Guitars £
In answer to the question, it stands for  'Steve Wariner'.  A household name, although mainly in the Wariner household, I'm going to show my ignorance by saying that I'd never heard of him before I bought this guitar. In all honesty though, most things that have happened after 1985 have passed me by.

According to Gretsch, though: 'A Grand Ole Opry and Kentucky Music Hall of Fame Member, Wariner is also one of five guitar players in the world to be given the “Certified Guitar Player” award by the legendary “Country Gentleman” himself, Chet Atkins. During his illustrious career, the four-time Grammy-award winning artist has released 19 studio albums spawning more than 50 charted Billboard singles including 14 No. 1 hits, plus songwriting hits such as Garth Brooks’ “Long Neck Bottle” and Keith Urban’s “Where the Blacktop Ends" plus the haunting 'The Day My Daddy Was Rogered On His Porch.”' *

* I made that one up.

I bought this from the utter gentleman and all-round good bloke that is @DrCornelius - I paid £2000, so that's what it's going back in at. The only ones that I can find new now are at just under £3200 (although there was a dealer blowout at some stage), and this, although it's a 2019 model, could to my eyes, pass for new although, in fairness, I walked into the door earlier. I can't see any used models. It really is in beautiful condition - I've been trying to get the word 'minty' in, but I just keep laughing , so I'll just leave it here.

Here's a link to the specs and the description - https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/build/hollow-body/g6120t-sw-steve-wariner-signature-nashville-gentleman-with-bigsby/2401370865 - so you can read all about the technical stuff and back story there, but I just wanted to talk about the looks, feel and sound of this guitar.

I can't often get along with Gretsch necks, but this feels so comfortable , slick and smooth- the ebony board, the 12 inch radius, the 25.5" scale length, coupled with the 6120 body gives it a Falcon feel but without the Falcon bulk. The neck's decribed as a 'U' by Gretsch, but it feels more like a fairly shallow 'C' to me. Obviously, they're right and I'm wrong, but just sayin'...

The sound is wonderful - it's like no other guitar that I've had before, it shimmers and rings, and with a gentle wobble of the Bigsby almost has a chorus type effect. It's pretty breathtaking - I was in a shop with it a couple of weeks ago, and another chap came in to pick a guitar up. I just hit a few chords on it and gave it a wobble, and the chap said 'what on earth is that'? I immediately apologised out of habit, but he said 'no, it sounds incredible. Play some more'. Well, it's not often I hear that (I retired from live playing by popular demand) so that was pleasing, but it was the guitar that did it. Not me. Definitely not me.

And  - I know that beauty is subjective, because I think that I'm handsome and no-one else agrees - I think it's blooming gorgeous. 'Magic Black' is the colour, with beautiful gold flakes inlaid, with an effect that I can only describe as reminiscent of star-crossed lovers gazing up in awe at the beautiful and breathtaking galaxy on on a clear moonlit summers night. Nurse, my tablets please. Now.

I did actually wonder if it was something along those lines - you know, the magnificence of the universe, the proliferation of stars in Steve's Nashville world, something dreamy and evocative like that. It turns out that the idea was lifted from the paint scheme of Steve's (I feel that we're on first name terms now) favourite Audi.  Oh, Steve, no.

'Hang on a  minute - if it's that fabulous, why sell it, you outrageous old queen?', I hear you cry. Well, a few things. I'm supposed to be downsizing, although I appear to have one more than when I began downsizing, and I have a nice Gretsch 6118T as well. Second, it's always nice to raise a few quid as DB1 Dungeons Hostel Towers is currently having a sprucing up. Third , I have a little GAS for something else - and, if I can share this with you, I feel that this is where the downsizing plan is stumbling a little - and fourth, it's going to suit someone else more than it suits me.

I like the thumpy old P90's and try and recreate the 1940's and 50's, as my wardrobe and payslip will confirm, and this really needs to belong to a finger picker or player that will do the sort of chord runs that I just can't do. It chimes, it shimmers, and it sparkles. I thump.

Hopefully all of the useful detail is in here, and a fair bit of absolute waffle to accompany it - I've got more pics, but some of them were taken in an odd light before I dusted it, and it looks like it's been headbutted by The Singing Detective, but there are some gems as well. I've included a few pics here. If you've ever read any of the nonsense that I write, you'll know that I won't post the damn thang, but I'll gladly meet up in some of the seediest laybys, the most notorious dogging areas, isolated public conveniences and woodland glades where wizards and faeries come to dance and play, possibly even North Yorkshire and even - at a push - motorway services. I'll even come to your house, if your standards are that lax.

I'm only going to put this here for a week, as it's got a buyer (non forum) at £2000 waiting, but I'd prefer to sell him another guitar really. 

PM me if you're interested - preferably in the guitar, but, well you know. Beggars can't be choosers.

Call me Dave.
4reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5664
    I love Dave's FS threads - I think he's probably my favourite Fretboard nutter.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7463
    Oh wow Dave , I’m genuinely surprised this is in the block - lovely , lovely guitar !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
    Brize said:

Thanks. I think. =)

Your name came up (in a good way!)  in conversation at a certain Cheltenham purveyor of musical instruments last week, as it happens.
    Call me Dave.
    Oh wow Dave , I’m genuinely surprised this is in the block - lovely , lovely guitar !

'Tis indeed, I'm thinking that it will suit a more modern player than me though. It's obviously a 6120, but it's got something else about it - simple controls, modern functions, a chime that is slightly different to the usual Gretsch 'twang' if you like, and more of an all-rounder.

As I wrote above, I just thump. And thump.
    Call me Dave.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5664
    DB1 said:
    Brize said:

Thanks. I think. =)

Your name came up (in a good way!)  in conversation at a certain Cheltenham purveyor of musical instruments last week, as it happens.
    That narrows it down - there's only one that can tolerate me!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8335
    Crikey. This man has good taste in guitars!  That’s a beauty.  I’m not one for gold hardware, but looks classy on that guitar.  
    GLWTS
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 801
    Another stunner. GLWTS :) certainly seems that both you and DrCornelius put up guitars I'd happily buy every one of... but alas I'm not able to buy this beauty. 
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 928
    Superb....
  • TheMarlin said:
    Crikey. This man has good taste in guitars!  

i can't decide whether he has great taste given that he buys so many stunning guitars, or shocking taste given that he seems to keep selling them on!   =)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6076
    TheMarlin said:

i can't decide whether he has great taste given that he buys so many stunning guitars, or shocking taste given that he seems to keep selling them on!   =)
    Enter the Lol/Wis dilemma ;)
    TheMarlin said:

Can I have a good taste/terrible judgement option please? =)
    Call me Dave.
    edited July 2022
    Sold to a man with exquisite taste and a lovely dog.
    Call me Dave.
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1807
    edited July 2022
    Hope it’s gone to a good home, 

you lot trade guitars more that I change my socks, ha ha ha 
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7463
    Hope it’s gone to a good home, 

you lot trade guitars more that I change my socks, ha ha ha 
    Tbf Dave , you’ve got 4 pairs of socks embroidered ‘Spring , Summer , Autumn and Winter’