Do You Write Predictable Lyrics, Dull Hymnal Melodies & Want To Make Extra Cash?

What's Hot

Then contact the Manic Street Preachers.  It seems they are so desperate to prolong a career and further milk the cow that they will record any old shite.

Defenders of the faith
With cruel hearts they make
You scarred and insecure
Scared to say a word
We’ve all fallen prey
To keep the wolves at bay

We’ll come back one day
We never really went away went away

One day we will return
No matter how much it hurts and it hurts

We’ve all killed some ants
All had broken plans
All failed ourselves
We’ve done the best we can
A magnifying glass
With questions left to ask

We’ll come back one day
We never really went away went away

One day we will return
No matter how much it hurts and it hurts

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4n4ooi4Oc1qegw8v.gif

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17919
    tFB Trader
    I've never been a massive fan, but their new album sounds like a horrible parody of their earlier stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The problem is Nicky Wire, main lyricist since Richie effed off. Wire, bless him, writes the most cackhanded sub sixth form drivel you'll ever hear, and is partly the reason why, despite the fact that i was once a die hard uber fan, i stopped buying their records completely a while back

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drat, I thought I was the only person who killed ants with a magnifying glass as a kid.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    I think that most lyrics are basically crap poetry. I never read the words to songs, and I prefer to remain only vaguely aware of subject matter most of the time.
  • axisus said:
    I think that most lyrics are basically crap poetry. I never read the words to songs, and I prefer to remain only vaguely aware of subject matter most of the time.
    Its the sound of the words and how they are delivered that's important, any actual meaning is just a bonus. Although real clunkers do stand out sometimes. 'He's gone 2000 miles, its very far' always comes to mind.

With the Manics they are a band where I know the lyrics are supposed to be important but I can't tell most of what JDB sings so it is all lost on me. Motorcycle empitiness, nmm nmm nmm, Shoeburyness...
    :-?
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I've never been a massive fan,
    but their new album sounds like a horrible parody of their earlier stuff.
    Then it's time to be a man
    and say Jimmy Dean Bradfield, enoughs enough.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24877
    edited September 2014
    In order to test whether I meet the OP's 'Predictable Lyrics' criteria, should I post a few lines and see if he can correctly guess the next one?

I could certainly use his kind offer of extra cash....
  • axisus said:
    Its the sound of the words and how they are delivered that's important, any actual meaning is just a bonus. Although real clunkers do stand out sometimes. 'He's gone 2000 miles, its very far' always comes to mind

"I don't want to see a ghost, it's the thing that I fear most, I'd rather have a piece of toast..."

You've got to go a LONG way to get worse lyrics than that.

• IanSavage;348192" said:
    EricTheWeary said:

axisus said:

Its the sound of the words and how they are delivered that's important, any actual meaning is just a bonus. Although real clunkers do stand out sometimes. 'He's gone 2000 miles, its very far' always comes to mind

"I don't want to see a ghost, it's the thing that I fear most, I'd rather have a piece of toast..."  You've got to go a LONG way to get worse lyrics than that.
    What's that from then?
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    Weve both given up smoking! so whos matches are those? 
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    edited September 2014
    What's that from then?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6626239.stm

I actually didn't realise that it had taken a 'worst lyrics' prize 'til just now :D

• IanSavage said:
    What's that from then?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6626239.stm

I actually didn't realise that it had taken a 'worst lyrics' prize 'til just now :D

ahh. I think the Snap one is quite clever, the Sabbath one is fine.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6611
    edited September 2014
    IanSavage said:
    axisus said:

"I don't want to see a ghost, it's the thing that I fear most, I'd rather have a piece of toast..."

It's not a brilliant lyric, no...but I do agree with the sentiment, for the most part.

EDIT:
    I do disagree with Axisus, though. As Eric says, it doesn't really matter too much if a lyric isn't great so long as it scans well and sounds good and so forth, but that isn't to say there aren't some extremely clever, effective and powerful lyrics out there. I guess it's like most art forms in that you have to sift through the rubbish to find the gems.

• IanSavage said:
    axisus said:

It's not a brilliant lyric, no...but I do agree with the sentiment, for the most part.

EDIT:
    I do disagree with Axisus, though. As Eric says, it doesn't really matter too much if a lyric isn't great so long as it scans well and sounds good and so forth, but that isn't to say there aren't some extremely clever, effective and powerful lyrics out there. I guess it's like most art forms in that you have to sift through the rubbish to find the gems.

I'm basically paraphrasing Sir Elton John - despite writing music to lyrics he says it is how they sound that is the first priority. Lots of examples of famous musos who get the sound down first (Sabbath, Zep, Beatles)and fill in the words after. I really like Black Crowes lyrics, they sound really good to me. Written down they are mostly tosh, but they always sound right.