Keeley Halo - how are people enjoying them? (Now with added Halo)

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7421
edited August 2022 in FX
I think I recall that a few folk went for one when they came out - how are you getting on? 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7421
    Is there an echo in here? 
    Apparently not :) 
    Red ones are better. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've had one for a couple of weeks and really like it. Not sure exactly what you want to know but let me know and I'll answer any Q's if I can.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Keeley posted the other day that the Halo #1 selling reverb on Reverb right now. He also has the #1 compressor and fuzz
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14430
    By rights, Sharleen Spiteri ought to have one. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • By rights, Sharleen Spiteri ought to have one. 
    No
    I've had one for a couple of weeks and really like it. Not sure exactly what you want to know but let me know and I'll answer any Q's if I can.
    Just wondering  what you think after time using it - lots of things sell well early doors then the shine wears off (istr the Walrus D1 delay - a similar form factor - falling quickly from favour with a lot of people - I was considering trying a Halo so wondering aloud how it holds up from those who got one - tbh I thought the lack of responses meant they'd all got quietly sold on lol - but clearly not. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • jimificationjimification Frets: 161
    edited August 2022
    Yeah it's great, I'm only using it in mono but the "Halo" sound still sounds very good that way. I'd usually be a reverb guy but don't feel I need one with that setting. the delays really do into a nice wash without being obtrusive at all. I like that it has a tone / high pass to roll off a bit. 8 presets is a good number for me too. Enough but not so many that you forget what's what or have to write things down. The secondary controls are easy to use.

I think if you want something with a small form factor that still has probably all the controls you'd want, a few presets and sounds extremely good it's a very solid choice. I don't think there's much downside to it other than perhaps the delays don't get wildly out of control at high settings but that's not really my thing anyway. 

Certainly people seem to flip delays (of all kinds) a lot. Delay is perhaps arguably the most fun pedal and there are lots of fish in that sea to try out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Nice summary, thanks 
    Red ones are better. 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    I fancy one of these. Currently have a GFI Orca if anyone is looking at a trade. It's a great pedal but I'd love a few more presets.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    Was.hoping to try one at Andertons (going this afternoon) but they are showing no stock 
    Red ones are better. 
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    I’m impressed with mine and  have only scratched the surface of what it’s capable of  - currently running in mono, straight in  with an expression pedal controlling mix - all the sounds just have a quality about them n have yet to do any detailed matching of my EM5, Belle Epoch, DL5 etc but think it’s possible . Worth a try n return punt if nothing else imho .. enjoy 
    Experimentation has commenced...

Red ones are better. 
    I like that it's really easy to get something that sounds similar to the Dunlop Echoplex which was on there  (which is ace) but with control over the modulation. 

Halo setting is fun to explore. I may just tweak its mix down a bit and use those first 2 presets and be done - sounds ace. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • JJ72JJ72 Frets: 57
    TimmyO said:
    I like that it's really easy to get something that sounds similar to the Dunlop Echoplex which was on there  (which is ace) but with control over the modulation. 

Halo setting is fun to explore. I may just tweak its mix down a bit and use those first 2 presets and be done - sounds ace. 
    I also have and love the Dunlop echoplex...love its sound but more importantly, it's simplicity. 
    Also looking at the Halo so I'm glad you can get them to match up tone wise with the benefit of all the other stuff the Halo adds
    edited August 2022
    JJ72 said:
    TimmyO said:

I also have and love the Dunlop echoplex...love its sound but more importantly, it's simplicity. 
    Also looking at the Halo so I'm glad you can get them to match up tone wise with the benefit of all the other stuff the Halo adds
    I've not sat and tweaked endlessly to get them sounding identical - it feels like that would be possible but what I mean is that they both fall into the tape-sounding, modulation-having sweetspot (well I think it's a sweetspot) to the point where I can just enjoy playing either. As I have them set now the Echoplex is more pronounced "tapey" but I've not fiddled with secondary settings on the Halo (and may never lol) 

The EP is for sure simpler - I have an external tap tempo switch on it and it's almost versatile enough for me like that - I was intrigued by being able to dial a little less Modulation, and by the Halo setting.

I was worried that it would be fiddly, and of course it is a bit moreso but it's actually easy to access tap tempo and the indication that you have done so isn't only on the LEDs that your foot obscures - neat. I suspect I'll only use 2 or 3 sounds on it, but I like it so far. 

Red ones are better. 
  • pluckbuddypluckbuddy Frets: 271
    I had a hydra which shares this same pedal platform/presets which i thought was good.

I can't help thinking with the Halo though that you need a stereo set up for the full effect... and I have a Memory Lane for mono delay... 
    edited August 2022
    Yes I bet both the Halo and my M1 sound epic in stereo but I'm unlikely to ever experience it! 
    Red ones are better. 
  • How are you finding the M1, @TimmyO ;
  • TimmyO said:
    Yes I bet both the Halo and my M1 sound epic in stereo but I'm unlikely to ever experience it! 
    Go amp-less with a Simplifier…sorted!
    TimmyO said:
    Go amp-less with a Simplifier…sorted!
    I doubt I'll do that, but it did idly occur to me that a second AMP1 and lightweight cab would make an epic stereo or wet dry - but I stress I can never see me actually bothering with such a thing 
    Red ones are better.