Best strap attachment to endpin jack socket

What's Hot
DartmoorHedgehogDartmoorHedgehog Frets: 918
edited August 2022 in Acoustics
I've got an endpin jack socket on my guitar, and although it's a pretty narrow slot where the strap goes I don't seem to have a problem with my cheapish strap with thin "leather" end. I had to open out the hole in the strap a bit with a leather punch but it's been fine.

My daughter's guitar has a seemingly very similar endpin, but she gets problems with it falling off all the time.  The biggest difference I can see is that her strap has thicker ends than mine, but it still fits in the slot and has been snipped to fit the same as mine.  My first idea for a solution was to cut some of the leather end off her strap (it's not an expensive one so not afraid to mod it) and sew on a bit of thinner, stiffer material more like mine.  I see there are plastic straplocks intended for these type of endpin jack sockets, but they seem rather over-priced.

What do people normally do about straps on these type of endpins?

EDIT: I should mention that the strap stays on the guitar all the time (except when it falls off!), so it's not related to being repeatedly removed and refitted, and it seems just as tight a fit as the one on my guitar.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    edited August 2022
    have you seen/tried the Musicnomad gizmo ? which is a "permanent " attachment to the endpin jack with a "normal" end pin n it  (about £18)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MusicNomad-MN271-Acousti-Lok-Adapter-Metric/dp/B07PRPVP3B

or there's a cheaper  "brass ring"  versions (Fishman)

and one a bit like the plastic  "fancy grolsh bottle"  type

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @bertie ;I did wonder if there were any alternative screw-on ends that would fit the existing thread - didn't find any with my (very) quick search earlier. They look like the best solution - might have a go at making one out of bit of grenadilla left over from my mandolin project, it's hard enough to tap a good thread but easier to work than brass.  Failing that I'll see if I can find an official one.  The plastic thing I found was a bit like the one you posted and looked like a good quick fix, but seemed ridiculously expensive (d'Addario one I think it was, about £13).  It's weird that I don't get any problems with my guitar and strap even though they're visually very similar - might still try modding the strap with a thinner, stiffer end.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 950
    I don't gig standing but, if I did, of those three options by @bertie I'd go for the brass Fishman ring, just FWIW :) 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    Any device up to or about £20 has to be good value if it prevents a decent guitar from hitting the floor. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 983
    edited August 2022
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 246
    I found the cheapest solution was to cut a large circle of plastic and punch a hole the same internal diameter as the external diameter of the endpin (or jack socket). Cut a straight cut from the hole towards the outside edge of the plastic washer you have created and that should allow you to put it onto the endpin after the leather strap. The trick is to find plastic that is stiff enough to do the job but thin enough to twist onto the endpin (jack socket). Something a little thicker than a washing up liquid bottle should do fine. My mate has had one for nearly 30 years and his strap doesn't come off but he has to store the guitar with the strap on.

Hope this helps.
  • KKJale said:
    I bought these about 18 months ago and they are an excellent solution to the problem.
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 1092
    I use the brass ring type pictured above on my gigging acoustics and they work well for me. Just make sure you can still fit guitar and strap back in the case, if it's a fairly bulky strap. 
  • I used to use these but they're not so easy to get hold of: https://www.tapastring.com/strapkeeper0605.htm
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 846

This one works really well:
    bertie said:

or there's a cheaper  "brass ring"  versions (Fishman)

• You could try the D’addario Cinch Fit… I use some of the Taylor (IIRC) ones on my Yamaha slg-200 as originally the strap would work the screws that attach the upper bout loose. Now not an issue because these things rotate without impacting the screws. Have also used with my emerald X30 and my Taylor… never had an issue… just slightly clunky looking. 
  • Thanks again folks - I've been away for a few days so haven't tried anything yet.  I think I'll try plastic washer as suggested by @TheMadMick , then if that still isn't working then go for one of the fishman-type adaptors (either bought or made)
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 250
    edited August 2022
    Got a new strap, found it awkward to fit over endpin jack (Fishman rare earth soundhole pickup), so found this thread useful.

Ended up getting the Pinegrove leather strap attachment with the rubber washer.
    The cutout is a bit larger than the endpin, but fits nicely when the rubber washer is fitted - seems to work well. Pack of 2 for a tenner including postage.
    (Link as in comment above by @guitarjack66 above).

Some pics showing the item & fitting.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @Soupman - that does seem to be the simplest solution. I haven't done it yet, but I'm tempted to do something similar by just making the hole in the strap a bit bigger and finding/making a washer to fit snuggly in the endpin groove.  A fiver each isn't really that bad though - I just hate to buy stuff that I should be able to make myself!  Perhaps I should just buy a couple of those - a tenner's nothing really against the risk of dropping a £500 guitar.
  • Soupman said:
    Got a new strap, found it awkward to fit over endpin jack (Fishman rare earth soundhole pickup), so found this thread useful.

Ended up getting the Pinegrove leather strap attachment with the rubber washer.
    The cutout is a bit larger than the endpin, but fits nicely when the rubber washer is fitted - seems to work well. Pack of 2 for a tenner including postage.
    (Link as in comment above by @guitarjack66 above).

Some pics showing the item & fitting.

Happy to have helped. Mine are not being used at present but I'm happy to know I have a simple solution when needed.