Greatest Hit or Albums

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20601
    ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:

I know it could get me into trouble in these parts - akin to saying Peter Green or BB King are boring - but I'm not sure I like Free enough to buy the original albums.  They're a bit too... low-energy for my liking.  The only one I've actually got is the last one, Heartbreaker.
    Which is a great album, despite the lack of Andy Fraser and Paul Kossoff's somewhat 'variable' input.

You really should get Fire And Water though, even if you don't like All Right Now - but my favourite is probably Highway.
    For me 'Tons of Sobs'  was really groundbreaking, in the way that Led Zeppelin '1' was (not now, but at the time they really were).
    'Highway' is my joint Free favourite album, as it was so very different & had so much more of a low key production vibe & real feeling, although the lyrics could still be still well dodgy  ;)
    At the time, die hard 'Free" fans hated it, but I'm used to being ahead of the game & being proven right by history, so no worries...  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20601
    edited August 2022
    Philly_Q said:
    Holy shit @ICBM that's quite a list!  It reminded me that I have a Pixies best-of and a Chic one.  It also popped into my head that I have the Best of Atlanta Rhythm Section, I'm not sure what inspired me to buy that.
    OK, the Best of 'ARS' is open to reinterpretation  

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5409
    The song All Right Now would be on a Free greatest hits but wouldn't belong on a Best Of, unless it was a triple disc set. 
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 212
    There's a whole discussion about streaming and younger folks getting into certain bands via the hits, and neglecting the full catalogue or albums via the streaming services. 

There are a number of bands that I've gotten into via the greatest hit route- Tears for Fears, being an example that led me back to the full albums, then there's greatest hits only bands... The Pet Shop Boys come to mind.. then there's full album or not at all.. the ultimate of which I'd say are Pink Floyd... why stream Us and Them, over the full DSOTM album.. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14266
    Philly_Q said:
    Well argued about the Bob Clearmountain remixes. :)

"Good job defending the indefensible".

;)
    The Bob Clearmountain remixes were the first Free album I owned and heard, I prefer it to the dry original mixes.

• RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1080
    Open_G said:
    There's a whole discussion about streaming and younger folks getting into certain bands via the hits, and neglecting the full catalogue or albums via the streaming services. 

There are a number of bands that I've gotten into via the greatest hit route- Tears for Fears, being an example that led me back to the full albums, then there's greatest hits only bands... The Pet Shop Boys come to mind.. then there's full album or not at all.. the ultimate of which I'd say are Pink Floyd... why stream Us and Them, over the full DSOTM album.. 
    As a child of the later 80s, I do think the PSB were a fine album band- Actually, Introspective, the one after Introspective...

But I don't know about the later stuff, and even with Spotify I can't really be arsed to find out.

Philly_Q said:

;)
    The Bob Clearmountain remixes were the first Free album I owned and heard, I prefer it to the dry original mixes.

You get a free pass for this. It's a free country and all that...
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5318
    Philly_Q said:

;)

I feel a little less alone in the world.

*wipes tear of joy*

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    Four pages in and nobody has cited The Doors. 

Greatest hits compared to the full (Morrison era) catalogue is almost like two different bands, maybe even three.

The appeal of the short, commercial material is obvious. The arty experimental stuff is engaging if you are in the right mood. The stoner drivel is pointless filler. IMO, it should never have been released - not even as posthumous bonus tracks.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    edited August 2022
    Philly_Q said:
    Well argued about the Bob Clearmountain remixes.

I feel a little less alone in the world.

*wipes tear of joy*
    Without wanting to turn this into "the Free remixes thread", it's interesting to note that you both mentioned hearing the remixes before the originals, so it's understandable that you prefer them.  I have the same thing with live albums - if I heard the live version first, I nearly always prefer it to the studio version, and vice versa.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    RandallFlagg said:

The Bob Clearmountain one was the first Free album I *owned*, although a friend had most of the original albums which I'd listened to. I bought it without realising it was going to be so different, and never really liked it.

Four pages in and nobody has cited The Doors. 

Greatest hits compared to the full (Morrison era) catalogue is almost like two different bands, maybe even three.

The appeal of the short, commercial material is obvious. The arty experimental stuff is engaging if you are in the right mood. The stoner drivel is pointless filler. IMO, it should never have been released - not even as posthumous bonus tracks.
    I've got all six original Morrison albums and it's hard to think of an unnecessary track on them :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5409
    edited August 2022
    What about Sweet?

Where the b-sides are miles better than the hits.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Deadman said:
    I had every Jam album and most of the singles when I was a kid. I strived to have everything in picture cover (vinyl) but never quite got there as a skint 12 year old. I had a couple of the old jukebox specials without the middle in them, in paper sleeves too; would never have turned my nose up at anything Jam related. I used to scour record fairs, Boots, WH Smiths, HMV, the local indie record shops (my favourites) for Damned stuff too, but The Jam came ahead of them for me back then.

When SNAP (greatest hits) was released, however I had to have it, even though I had everything on it repeatedly anyway and Santa delivered it to me in the Christmas of 1983. I just had to have everything related to them, if only to look at the artwork and sleeves (of which getting to see things lke lyrics first hand were a massive thing to me.

Anyway, I'm rambling. What was the question again?
    Did you get the version of Snap that at the time had a 45rpm single with it too ,I’m trying to remember the tracks on it , think they were soul type ones like move on up