What happened to The Mars Volta?!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25567
    And nobody has pointed out my username is the title of a Mars Volta record :) 

I just thought it was cool.

Anyway, the point is I'm not digging this!
    I thought you were just a fan of geometry.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5409
    ATDI had that incredible Fugazi-like energy. 

This newer song is giving Snow Patrol vibes. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 938
    edited August 2022
    Loved the first run of TMV. Saw them on most tours they did but they seemed to go downhill after Thomas Pridgen left. I saw both nights at The Roundhouse on one tour and it was amazing, so good I went back the second night. I wasn't impressed with the 2 new songs I heard.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7716
    Just listened again now and it’s absolutely dreadful haha. I was playing it for my wife, and when I told her who it was she said it was "upsettingly shit".
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1292
    I'd not listened to The Mars Volta for years - Frances the Mute, De-loused at the Comatorium, Scab Dates - liked them but always found them a bit 'one-toned', would have liked them to chill a bit occasionally. But it's their music.

I just read this on the Guardian site - they've certainly been through it a bit! Might give some insights into the new re-formed band ...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Loved the first run of TMV. Saw them on most tours they did but they seemed to go downhill after Thomas Pridgen left. I saw both nights at The Roundhouse on one tour and it was amazing, so good I went back the second night. I wasn't impressed with the 2 new songs I heard.
    I'd only seen the new songs on those really long video clips, I had another go via Qobuz and actually really liked them.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    edited August 2022
    I'd not listened to The Mars Volta for years - Frances the Mute, De-loused at the Comatorium, Scab Dates - liked them but always found them a bit 'one-toned', would have liked them to chill a bit occasionally. But it's their music.

I just read this on the Guardian site - they've certainly been through it a bit! Might give some insights into the new re-formed band ...

$1000 a week on weed. I assume he was getting premium stuff and being charged a premium for it, cos at average prices for regular stuff that's about 20oz a month 

Their single Vigil is the catchiest thing they have written, landing between Hall & Oates, mid-80s Peter Gabriel and early Talk Talk

That's... a bold statement.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    https://youtu.be/neSQgkEy_xQ 

To me this is one of the catchiest songs I've heard from anyone. I can't even remember how Vigil goes but I can still remember the first time I heard the above 19 years ago.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1292
    DefaultM said:

$1000 a week on weed. I assume he was getting premium stuff and being charged a premium for it, cos at average prices for regular stuff that's about 20oz a month 

If you click the link in that Guardian piece there's more detail -

"Bixler-Zavala went on to add: “It’s so easy to get now, you can go to stores and buy it. I feel bad because I was always going into the stores to buy and I’d actually see AIDS patients and cancer patients there — and here I am buying in bulk but I didn’t really need it"

Buying legally in stores would certainly put the price up (just look at tobacco).

It's still cheaper than what the Scientologists would be fleecing him for, though.  ;)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom