mesa boogie blue angel

llewllew Frets: 78
Does anyone have any experience with this amp? I recently started a thread asking about the mki boogie, i'v currently got a Dr z maz jnr head and 2x10 cab and really fancy a small combo that I can use in the house and be a bit less to carry to gig's. The blue angel seems right up my street with the simple single channel layout.Any advice would be great ta.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    Boogie combos are flipping heavy - the Black Shadow speaker weighs a ton.  I chopped my Nomad 1x12 into a Head + Cab.

Dr Z Maz + 2x10 is a fantastic noise.

The Mini Rectifier is great alternative, I've tried mine through my Maz 2x10 and it makes a fantastic din.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • llewllew Frets: 78
    Yeah I know how heavy boogies can be, but a combo would mean less trip's back and for to the car which is always going to be a winner.I do like my maz but I'v found myself missing that whole fender sort of tone albeit fatter.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    The Blue Angel 1x12" is about 60lb, from memory - a heavy one-hand lift, but not *that* bad… and it has a very nice comfortable handle. A lighter speaker like a Celestion Gold (if you can afford one, they sound great in it) knocks a pound or so off. I didn't like the Century Vintage neo I tried in mine though.

I'll mention the Maverick again too - although the clean channel is more Blonde/Brownface than Blackface, it's really nice, and the 1x12" version is smaller and possibly slightly lighter than the Blue Angel. A Gold would probably sound great in one of these too, but unfortunately wasn't made at the time I had mine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• llewllew Frets: 78
    It does look like a really cool amp. Considering I'm chasing a fender clean tone it's strange I keep coming back to boogies over genuine fenders? I had a mk iii once that had the best clean tone i'v ever heard. Overdrive was horrible but the clean was stunning like a beautiful blackface but with loads of low end thump.Never tried a mk ii but heard they've got a great clean too but with a smoother less aggressive drive.That may be worth checking out too?