West Midlands guitar shop road trip

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ShadowShadow Frets: 75
    Stuckfast said:
    The Cottingham club is just down the road from me so I've been a few times -- always an interesting mix of stuff, but yes, another place where I bring the average age down quite a bit.

I mostly play fingerstyle too, mostly traditional folk, I suppose influenced by people like Nic Jones and Martin Carthy.

I've never really compared my Larrivee with anything vaguely similar. It's incredibly playable and records well. I guess I wouldn't expect it to have as much bass as a dreadnought, but it seems to have a pretty balanced sound to me.
    I suspect I'd bring the average age down a touch and I'm in my early sixties!

Do you have the mahogany version? Mine is the rosewood. It is very balanced but I was looking for something with a little more bottom end oomph (as far as that's possible in an OM) hence the Furch

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2432
    Mine's rosewood too, it's quite old now so I'm not sure there's an exact equivalent in the current line-up. Is there a difference between an OM-3 and an OM-03?

Anyway, apologies for hijacking the thread. Happy new guitar and do PM me if you fancy meeting up to talk/play guitars etc...
  • ShadowShadow Frets: 75
    Stuckfast said:
    Mine's rosewood too, it's quite old now so I'm not sure there's an exact equivalent in the current line-up. Is there a difference between an OM-3 and an OM-03?

Anyway, apologies for hijacking the thread. Happy new guitar and do PM me if you fancy meeting up to talk/play guitars etc...
    I don't know to be honest. Mine's a 2005 model and it says OM-03R on the label.

No problem, nice to know of someone local here. Heading off on holiday tomorrow but that would be good sometime.
  • PjonPjon Frets: 313
    Tannin said:
    ^ Oh dear. That could be expensive. 
    No, it can't be. I'm skint! That's what I'll be reminding myself. :D 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 950
    There's also The Little Guitar Shop in Brum.

It doesn't get much said about it on here but has a few bits and bobs hard to find elsewhere :) 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1397
    yeah if you're going between PMT and GG, you can make time for fairdeal and the little guitar shop. you can almost get to all of them on the new tram line, if you want to sit on the tram all bloody day.
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 852
    Pjon said:
    Looks like I'm accompanying my wife to Brum in 2 weeks time, and will have the day spare while she does stuff. She's mentioned booking a hotel on Hagley Rd, so this thread has nicely pointed me in the direction of GuitarGuitar which will be about 200m from the hotel, from memory.
    Fairdeal Music in Brum has quite a decent selection of good second hand stuff - but is inside the clean air zone so check to see if your vehicle has to pay the £8 charge.   If you fancy an excursion out of Birmingham, about 10 miles up the road is TR Music in Walsall.  A proper, old-school music shop that always has a few interesting things in - they're very fair on trade-ins too.