Looking for a trustworthy truss rod

What's Hot
I had almost completed a semi hollow Les Paul with f holes, double bound body, bound fretboard and headstock only to find that the truss rod I fitted was faulty and broke the first time I gave it a quarter turn.
A lot of hard work potentially down the drain.
In the end I was able to drill through the neck pickup rout and push it out.
Now I need a replacement, something that isn't going to fall at the first fence. Any recommendations?
The guitar:
www.scavengermusic.co.uk
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 17498
    What sort did you use?

Ive had expensive ones go faulty before.  Recently had one that developed an odd rattle after installed and it was still there when I took it out.

Always worth testing them before you install

• ScavengerScavenger Frets: 148
    I got it on eBay from a seller who says they use them in their own custom guitars. I always tested them, bending in both directions. Once installed it just went loose after a quarter turn. 
    It had a yellow shrink wrap. 
    www.scavengermusic.co.uk
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17498
    Have you managed to see where it broke since removing it.  Is it a failed weld?

Unfortunately they are all much the same, so its just a case of trying to see any issues before installing, and testing as you go.

I once had a fancy stew-mac one where the hexagonal allen key hole was totally round inside and out. 

The actual part that turns is captive in a short tube so I can't see exactly what went wrong,I suspect that the weld broke or the thread stripped? 
    I agree they do seem to be a bit of a muchness in design, looks like I'm taking pot luck again.
    www.scavengermusic.co.uk
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74484
    That’s a lovely looking guitar. I particularly like the asymmetrical f-holes. (As well as all the rest of it :).)

It’s unfortunate that happened, but it does reinforce what I’ve thought for years, that it’s baffling why most/all guitar makers (ie manufacturers, not you specifically!) don’t make the body end of the truss rod accessible via the pickup cavity.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    That’s a lovely looking guitar. I particularly like the asymmetrical f-holes. (As well as all the rest of it :).)

It’s unfortunate that happened, but it does reinforce what I’ve thought for years, that it’s baffling why most/all guitar makers (ie manufacturers, not you specifically!) don’t make the body end of the truss rod accessible via the pickup cavity.
    Thank you ☺️, in future I will be doing just that and possibly even making my own truss rods.
    www.scavengermusic.co.uk