Jerry Sadowitz cancelled

What's Hot

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24690
    You're just trying to suppress our right to free discussion now!
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4306
    I went to see him years ago in Glasgow, he was completely brutal, but absolutely hilarious. He did come out fully dressed as Jimmy Savile, so you knew where things were going. He insulted everyone basically, nobody escaped. People were walking out after first 10 mins, shaking their heads, I’m not quite sure what they expecting…. I remember him taking about his admiration for rapists, i.e. them being able to hide in the bushes in a park at night and jump out to tackle a woman to the ground, whilst maintaining an erection the whole time. Lots of shocking stuff, but I personally found it all funny, because it’s just comedy and despite what some people think, it’s entirely possible to separate it from reality.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11432
    Some of us who saw him 30-odd years ago may remember his opening line about Nelson Mandela. He'd get lynched nowadays. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    Emp_Fab said:
    You're just trying to suppress our right to free discussion now!
    I just find it odd that anyone would leap to defend this
  • euaneuan Frets: 1642
    Are people naively saying that Sadowitz’s comedy is reforming racists, homophobes and misogynists? 

They are attracted by his edgy humour, but you know he really makes you think man, and they walk out realising that they’ve been wrong all this time?

Or does it really just create a space that allows people to say “I’m just joking. It’s comedy”?
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    edited August 2022
    what ever,  but his agent's  just been on the phone to say thanks for all the free publicity
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6308
    Sadowitz claims that his offensive characters are parodies. I get that, but when your audience can't tell the difference?

(This was the same problem with Alf Garnett: the writers didn't predict that much of the audience would sympathise with the obnoxious character.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23635
    goldtop said:
    Sadowitz claims that his offensive characters are parodies. I get that, but when your audience can't tell the difference?

There's an interesting little bit on his Wiki page, where it says he regretted appearing in the Ebeneezer Goode video by The Shamen because he didn't know it was a song about drugs.

Again though, I don't know whether to take that statement at face value!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7216
    CloudNine said:
    I went to see him years ago in Glasgow, he was completely brutal, but absolutely hilarious. He did come out fully dressed as Jimmy Savile, so you knew where things were going. He insulted everyone basically, nobody escaped. People were walking out after first 10 mins, shaking their heads, I’m not quite sure what they expecting…. I remember him taking about his admiration for rapists, i.e. them being able to hide in the bushes in a park at night and jump out to tackle a woman to the ground, whilst maintaining an erection the whole time. Lots of shocking stuff, but I personally found it all funny, because it’s just comedy and despite what some people think, it’s entirely possible to separate it from reality.
    Guess it must've been the delivery.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • ColsCols Frets: 7298
    Sadowitz has responded to the issue on Twitter.

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12513
    Seems like a pretty measured response to me.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33978
    Free speech is not the same as having a right to a platform.
    He has a right to be a comic but not at all venues.
    Freedom of speech is not the same as freedom from the consequences of that free speech.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    When we know what has been said, plus context; and then furthermore knowing who, (or maybe what) has taken offence, if indeed he has offended someone (or something, like a venue) and then when we know why he/she/they/ or it, has taken offence - maybe we can make a more informed judgement.

But so far, in the words of the late great Sir Patrick Moore: "we just don't know"

I'm all for free speech though (including written) just as I am all for the consequences.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    tony99 said:
    When we know what has been said, plus context; and then furthermore knowing who, (or maybe what) has taken offence, if indeed he has offended someone (or something, like a venue) and then when we know why he/she/they/ or it, has taken offence - maybe we can make a more informed judgement.
    Well I think we have a good idea of what was said and done.  He referred to Rishi Sunak as a p*ki.  He said we were up shit creek economically because the government was run by women and blacks.  He got his nob out.  And he cracked a joke about trans people.

The context was that he was performing at a show where people paid to see a comedian who has a history of making outrageous statements and doing outrageous things, so they should have had an extremely good idea what to expect.

You shouldn't need to question why some people might be offended by all of the above - but if you are one of those likely to be offended, WTF would you go to one of his shows?

If it was the case, as some have suggested, that some members of the staff made the complaints then the venue is to blame.  They must have known his reputation so they should have warned the staff what to expect and given anyone likely to take offence the option of not working that night.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29159
    Offset said:

they should have warned the staff what to expect and given anyone likely to take offence the option of not working that night.
    On full pay? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    edited August 2022
    Offset said:
    tony99 said:
    Well I think we have a good idea of what was said and done.  He referred to Rishi Sunak as a p*ki.  He said we were up shit creek economically because the government was run by women and blacks.  He got his nob out.  And he cracked a joke about trans people.

I have not seen that recorded or reported anywhere outside of this thread (admittedly I haven't spent much time looking) but I'll gladly take your word for it.
    Sporky said:
    Offset said:

they should have warned the staff what to expect and given anyone likely to take offence the option of not working that night.
    On full pay? 
    I don't know the contractual arrangements of the venue, obviously, but swapping shifts shouldn't be too difficult should it?

The whole thing is faintly ridiculous.  It's like going on a guided tour of a sewage treatment plant and then complaining you can smell shit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Offset said:

I don't know the contractual arrangements of the venue, obviously, but swapping shifts shouldn't be too difficult should it?

The whole thing is faintly ridiculous.  It's like going on a guided tour of a sewage treatment plant and then complaining you can smell shit.
    this pretty much, 

in this specific instance 

being offended by "a joke"  isnt going to kill you FFS,  suck it up buttercup,  scratch a notch on the bedpost of life and move on. 

Very nearly tempted to use a word I dont really like  -  and it falls out the sky when its cold.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19386

Very nearly tempted to use a word I dont really like  -  and it falls out the sky when its cold.
    Hail ??? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Hail ??? 
    caeser