Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72528
    I think that's cheap - although I'm not going to buy it ;). As usual it has nothing to do with "how much a piece of plastic with some gold paint on it is worth".

I would say the value difference between an original JTM45 with a good panel like that and one that's missing, badly damaged or drilled could be as much as £500, maybe even more in an extreme case (eg a near mint, totally original amp but with a major piece of the panel missing).

However it is not 'new' as stated in the listing...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imo this is the man with many ebay user id's that probably go back to Gusic Mround. Could be wrong but I'm sure it's the guy that sells the repro marshall logos.

Sad but I've only just found you guys after MR buggered off, great looking forum going on here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10585
    tFB Trader

ICBM said:
    I think that's cheap - although I'm not going to buy it ;). As usual it has nothing to do with "how much a piece of plastic with some gold paint on it is worth".

I would say the value difference between an original JTM45 with a good panel like that and one that's missing, badly damaged or drilled could be as much as £500, maybe even more in an extreme case (eg a near mint, totally original amp but with a major piece of the panel missing).

However it is not 'new' as stated in the listing...
    The thing is ... fitted with this panel the amp is not going to be 'original' ... at will be an old amp fitted with another old amp's front panel. The rough use that may well have caused the original panel to be broken will still have happened (and may have taken its toll on other parts of the amp). This originality thing is utter 'male bovine excrement': once a part is changed for a new part or an old one for that matter the unit is not original ... full stop. My own personal view is that It's far more honest to but in a good repro part than try to 'pretend' that the amp is unmolested.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72528
    edited September 2013

The thing is ... fitted with this panel the amp is not going to be 'original' ... at will be an old amp fitted with another old amp's front panel. The rough use that may well have caused the original panel to be broken will still have happened (and may have taken its toll on other parts of the amp). This originality thing is utter 'male bovine excrement': once a part is changed for a new part or an old one for that matter the unit is not original ... full stop. My own personal view is that It's far more honest to but in a good repro part than try to 'pretend' that the amp is unmolested.
    I completely agree, but that's not what the 'market' sees. An amp with a nice repro panel would be worth *less* than with a damaged original.

My personal opinion is that original JTM45s are highly over-valued anyway - yes, they do sound very nice, possibly even spectacularly so in some cases, but they are inconsistent, poorly-built, fragile both physically and electrically, and can be unreliable.

The whole originality thing is even more ludicrous with amps than with guitars, actually. The electrolytic caps are going to need changing at some point no matter what you do - is the amp then "not original"? Some people think you should "save" the original parts when you do a cap job on an old amp - I don't, in fact I make sure they go in the bin. They can leak even when they're stored, and it removes any chance of some twit trying to put them back. I've even seen old electrolytic caps - both "NOS" and just plain old used ones - sold on Ebay.

I don't change parts unnecessarily - seeing (usually crap quality) replacement pots in a guitar or an amp when the originals probably just needed cleaning annoys me - but if a part has failed or is well on the way it should be changed without a second thought.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    Surprised they don't have any "genuine" Marshall 18 watters for sale! :|
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imo this is the man with many ebay user id's that probably go back to Gusic Mround. Could be wrong but I'm sure it's the guy that sells the repro marshall logos.
    I think you may be right, especially as the previous ID of the account in question was "mrhiwatt".

Caveat Emptor
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Interesting that someone would go to the huge expense of having such reproduction parts made. A lot of outlay for such a small potential market, given the concerns around originality as outlined above. :)
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    edited September 2013

imo this is the man with many ebay user id's that probably go back to Gusic Mround. Could be wrong but I'm sure it's the guy that sells the repro marshall logos.

Sad but I've only just found you guys after MR buggered off, great looking forum going on here.
    IIRC I had a bit of a row with him on MR, if its the same bloke he was called ElectrikGypsy and his company was called Electrik Amps, when he came on flogging his HiWatt Custom clones and then wouldn't let anyone know the prices. It got to the point where he threatened to have me ejected from the forum. I kept screen shots of the whole 4 pages of the thread just as evidence. He has a bit of an ego problem I reckon.
    I think you may be right, especially as the previous ID of the account in question was "mrhiwatt".

Caveat Emptor

....and that the item is for sale in Doncaster, prime Music Ground territory. 

• hywelg said:

imo this is the man with many ebay user id's that probably go back to Gusic Mround. Could be wrong but I'm sure it's the guy that sells the repro marshall logos.

IIRC I had a bit of a row with him on MR, if its the same bloke he was called ElectrikGypsy and his company was called Electrik Amps, when he came on flogging his HiWatt Custom clones and then wouldn't let anyone know the prices. It got to the point where he threatened to have me ejected from the forum. I kept screen shots of the whole 4 pages of the thread just as evidence. He has a bit of an ego problem I reckon.

Is that the guy? 

If so, I remember his TGP rant HERE:

The high point really did come when he claimed that nobody was building hand wired turret tag amps in 2002 and it was all down to him.