Goodmans speakers

What's Hot
CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
There's not a lot online with actual descriptions/ experience of Goodmans guitar speakers.

I've just pulled the trigger on an "Audiom 61" which is a 20 watt (40 watt USA) 12" speaker with what looks like a fairly standard guitar cone - ribbed like a 1777, 75hz resonant freq. No idea what it'll sound like, pure curiosity.

Anyone ever used one? Or, indeed, any other Goodmans? @ICBM ; , your warnings about the over optimism of the Goodmans' power ratings have been noted, do you have any concerns about showing one of these 15 watts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74443
    Cirrus said:

@ICBM ; , your warnings about the over optimism of the Goodmans' power ratings have been noted, do you have any concerns about showing one of these 15 watts?
    Yes, if you mean a 15W amp you’re intending to overdrive. If you keep it clean it should be ok.

Basically you need to go on about half the (UK) rating, for an overdriven amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    Hmmm. Well, the amp's gonna be ran clean with some volume to spare for occasional solo boost, but it's also being ran with distortion pedals so often distorted but within the clean range of the amp's volume, rather than Phase inverter/ power section crunch. So I guess.... eh, if it blows it was £40 for some fun!  =)
  • De_BatzDe_Batz Frets: 118
    It'll be heavy, that's for sure. Somewhat perversely, I moved mine from a Zilla 2x12 to a 4x12, but at least the 4x12 has casters so I'm not fighting gravity quite so hard. The 4x12 is a Cicognani Imperium (I think that's the model) that I bought on a bit of a whim during the first lockdown. And it sounds absolutely huge with all sorts of different amps, whatever the G12Hs on the top are missing in midrange the Goodmans seem to fill in a bit. 

Whilst you don't want to be thinking in terms of a recone from the very start, if you do cabbage it by going OTT with the power, a recone could accommodate a more modern VC which would then bring the handling up some. 

It's also going to be a bit louder than some speakers, especially something like a Greenback. 

• About ten years ago I went through a phase of buying various vintage Goodmans speakers. Generally speaking I found them to be lacking clarity compared to Celestion. Useful for some things, if you like a thick and creamy mid range, a 'vintage' sounding tone. I just found myself switching back to Celestions though for that better clarity and note definition.

Of all the Goodmans I tried I found the ones used by Selmer were about the best to my ears for guitar. The blue label 15w or 30w. If they're from a Selmer they will probably be decent speakers.

I also preferred them in open back cabinets to closed back.

Goodmans actually made a lot of different models, that in appearance, if you just look at them from the back, can look exactly the same. But they'll have different magnet weights, different suspensions, different coils, dust caps etc. Just like the old Celestion's, they had a wide range of models. Basically, don't go by the label and say I've tried "that one".

Also they changed appearance drastically over the years too. So what can look like a compleletly differnet speaker, can actually be the same one, just made at a different point in time. Can be difficult to get your head around.

eg these are the same speaker model. Used by Marshall in the early bass cabs.  The top photo are early 67 / late 66, the bottom photo are mid 67. With Goodmans, don't rely on appearance, check the cone codes, magnet weights etc if you want to know the model of the speaker.

• De_BatzDe_Batz Frets: 118
    About ten years ago I went through a phase of buying various vintage Goodmans speakers. Generally speaking I found them to be lacking clarity compared to Celestion. Useful for some things, if you like a thick and creamy mid range, a 'vintage' sounding tone. I just found myself switching back to Celestions though for that better clarity and note definition.

Of all the Goodmans I tried I found the ones used by Selmer were about the best to my ears for guitar. The blue label 15w or 30w. If they're from a Selmer they will probably be decent speakers.

I also preferred them in open back cabinets to closed back.

Goodmans actually made a lot of different models, that in appearance, if you just look at them from the back, can look exactly the same. But they'll have different magnet weights, different suspensions, different coils, dust caps etc. Just like the old Celestion's, they had a wide range of models. Basically, don't go by the label and say I've tried "that one".

Also they changed appearance drastically over the years too. So what can look like a compleletly differnet speaker, can actually be the same one, just made at a different point in time. Can be difficult to get your head around.

eg these are the same speaker model. Used by Marshall in the early bass cabs.  The top photo are early 67 / late 66, the bottom photo are mid 67. With Goodmans, don't rely on appearance, check the cone codes, magnet weights etc if you want to know the model of the speaker.

Cirrus' new speaker is a cast frame one, probably mid 60s. 

I'd say that the pair of Audiom 61s I have combine the best aspects of a G12H (big fat bass, enough treble to sparkle) with the best aspects of the G12M (woody midrange). If they were lighter and higher power, I would probably not have much need for anything else. The closest modern speakers are the Fanes (F70 and Medusa) although they are both stamped frame and higher power and you can tell. Neither Fane has the same high end as the the Audioms, but the lows and mids are in the same ballpark. 

I've currently got the Audiom 61s in a 4x12 with a G12H-30 and a Tayden Great Brit (their H-magnet model) and it's a great sounding cab, but I'm always a bit concerned about its power handling (partly inspired by @ICBM's prophesying of doom on this board!). 
    Well, likely all for nothing anyway. The seller shipped it in a rickety box which split in transit, and even without plugging it in, the coil's rubbing horribly (quite possibly pre-existing given where the box was damaged) and though less major one of the terminals is missing (not mentioned in description). It's also screwed into a damp wooden baffle so tightly with rusty screws that it'd probably need to be drilled out.

What a waste of a possibly 60-year old speaker.
    Cirrus said:
    Well, likely all for nothing anyway. The seller shipped it in a rickety box which split in transit, and even without plugging it in, the coil's rubbing horribly (quite possibly pre-existing given where the box was damaged) and though less major one of the terminals is missing (not mentioned in description). It's also screwed into a damp wooden baffle so tightly with rusty screws that it'd probably need to be drilled out.

What a waste of a possibly 60-year old speaker.
    Sounds like that was dead before it was ever put in the box. Did you get it on Ebay?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Yeah. I've messaged the seller asking for a refund, and pointing out that if they want it returned they'll need to send me packing material since the box it came in isn't any good...
    Cirrus said:
    Yeah. I've messaged the seller asking for a refund, and pointing out that if they want it returned they'll need to send me packing material since the box it came in isn't any good...
    If they try to offer anything other than a full refund including the postage cost, take it to an Ebay dispute as soon as allowed (I can’t remember how long that is). If it’s screwed to a damp baffle and has a broken terminal, I would pretty much guarantee the coil rub didn’t happen in transit no matter how badly packed it was.

I agree tbh. It's a cast frame, way more sturdy than a celestion, I reckon it'd take way more to bend the frame so the coil's out of alignment. And damp or no, the baffle would have protected the cone further.

I led with the packing problem because it gives the seller an out that doesn't leave them having to admit dishonesty, which I guess is slightly manipulative of me but then, I didn't sell a dud speaker...