SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

MIJ Tokai ES120 - with an issue - CHEAP!

What's Hot
TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1849
edited August 2022 in Guitars £
I bought this a few years ago off of @Dominic amd it was my number one for some time until the world went to rats and then more or less gave up. It suited me and the band I was in (90’s function) perfectly but I have no need for it anymore and it’s time to move it on to another lucky owner

i will post the original text from Doms add and hope he won’t mind as he puts it much better than me - I’ll link out to the original threads photos as well

all I would add is that it’s probably yellowed some more and there was a sticker on the rear that shows obviously but as you’ll see below - this is a workhorse not a case queen 

I should add I’m open to part exchange - I need a bit of cash (who doesn’t right now) but if you have something stratty or teleish with a 12” board or at the least compound radius - let’s talk 

Over to Dominic 

M.I.J top end  Tokai (was top of the range at the time)Rare vintage white (perfectly yellowed)BigsbySlightly thinner 59 style neck .Original Tokai pickups - the bridge has  fantastic biteThe neck pickup is very woody which I like, but may be too dark for some tastes (good, mellow jazz tones)Bigsby is properly set up with softer spring for smoother easy action AND tuning stabiliser bar which works superbly to keep it in tuneBeautifully  set up by FELINE - plays very, very well

NOW THE UGLY:
Had a typical headstock break that was initially poorly repaired -I thought it worthy of a more expensive and very thorough repair so I then took it to FELINE who then did an amazing job.  They routed / drilled and installed two carbon fibre rods and set them bonded in epoxy resin.  Practically it's stronger and sturdier than any wood ever was, but I haven't got round to fine sanding and nitro re-spray of the neck and headstock.  It makes no difference to playability, but looks ugly 'til it's sorted although it doesn't affect the playability.  The truss rod cover got lost in the process.  Generally, there are a few very minor buckle rash grazes but otherwise great condition.GATOR hard case included.Normal going rate would be £800 ish in todays market  so I think £495 is very fair for a workmanlike guitar

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/151777/cheap-mij-tokai-es-120-2004-335-type#latest
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1082
    This is bloody glorious 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bump 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16413
    It was mine once .......and it is a great sounding /playing guitar 
  • Do you have any pictures of it in the daylight? Hard to work out from the pics in the original listing how much of the 'yellowing' to the finish is genuine and how much of it is due to the artificial light? 
  • I’ll set some up for you 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • damm73damm73 Frets: 361
    @Travisthedog pls check your PMs :)
  • Someone needs to buy this and send it off to @lamf68 before I do 
    Someone needs to buy this and send it off to @lamf68 before I do 
    I believe it is already on it's way to me.
    @Travisthedog please can you get back to me today
  • PM’d 
  • I enquired about this last week, I believe it has long since sold.
    I enquired about this last week, I believe it has long since sold.
    Yes, just to clarify, I bought it a couple of weeks ago. 
    @Travisthedog check inbox when you get a chance :)
    @Travisthedog pls check inbox
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2046
    damm73 said:
    @Travisthedog pls check inbox
    Oh dear. This doesn't look good. PMd

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

@Travisthedog Jon, can you please get in touch.  The tracking number you gave me is invalid, as you know, due to the DPD balls up.  However, I've contacted DPD and they are not showing anything due to be delivered to my address.

You said that it was found at the Leicester depot on 16th September and should be on it's way but I would have expected delivery by now. So my concern is that they have somehow screwed up again.

You've not responded to my last 2 PM's or the direct emails I sent you, but you do appear to have logged in here since then so I have to assume that you have at least seen the PM's?

Can you please send me either an updated tracking number if you have one, or the parcel number and can you please confirm the address you have sent it to?

I'm not asking for much pal and I am sorry to be pestering you again about this but it's been dragging on over three weeks now. 

Thanks, Dave 
    @Travisthedog Your home page on here shows you were last active at 7:28PM last night. Idk if that's accurate but still no response so just tagging you again in the hope you'll see this or PMs. Sorry, don't know what else to do!!
    @Travisthedog would really appreciate it if you could spare a couple minutes to ping me a quick reply. Thanks
  • Wow! I hope you get this sorted @damm73

I admire your patience, not sure I could be so diplomatic with this scenario...