SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

NOW £470 Delivered. Speakeasy 8-28. Dave Green (Matamp) Boutique. Owned By Embrace

What's Hot
ParkerParker Frets: 961
edited December 2014 in Amps £

UPDATE: Ok, ideally looking at swaps now. Will consider guitars or quite fancy a high quality 1x12 combo, but am open to suggestions! Thanks

As an amplifier, this is just incredible. Designed and built by amp guru Dave Green under the Ashdown name just before they rebranded as Hayden. This is not an import - this is a high quality boutique UK made amp built using a turret board with the highest quality parts. Celestion Vintage 30 speakers. A click dial on the front attenuates the power between 8 and 28 watts on this 2x12" combo. It has another dial that converts it from Class A to Class A/B and everything in between (very cool feature). It also has a Master pot with the option to cut it out completely. This really drives the amp. Single channel, warm tone with lots of sustain. The gain is smooth and very usable. The spring reverb is foot-switchable (included). It's perfect for pedals. Also has fx loop. Pentode / triode switching on the back. Beautifully made inside and out.

This amp was formally from the band Embrace. It was one of a pair. Both were available and I chose this 6V6 model. The other was a 6L6. It's been flightcased, although I sold this recently as too heavy duty for me. It has a few very minor scuffs, but overall excellent condition. You can see the amps on stage in numerous photos between 2004 and can be heard on similar era Youtube vids with the 2005 Leeds gig probably the best. I do not have a letter of authentication from the band as it was a happy coincidence I even found out, but as these amps are rare and I could find virtually zero info on the internet, I emailed Ashdown's team. They responded: "The amp in question is an awesome product designed by our engineer Dave Green who has been responsible for many guitar amps in his years designing specifically many of the MatAmp designs and Green amps..... It was made in the UK around 20 of the 828 were built under the Ashdown name. These were done specially for Richard [McNamara].... I remember personally delivering the amp down to the corn exchange in Cambridge... " It's hard to value these amps - to an Embrace fan, it's an awesome collectible piece (how often can you get to buy a bands main amp of around 10 years?). As a stand alone boutique amp, it's from probably the finest UK designer of the last 25+ years and rivals any USA amp. More than happy for you to come and try it - you'll fall in love. Lots more pics on request. Thanks for looking.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/gibsongaz/gibsongaz008/AD1_zps0d719015.jpeg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/gibsongaz/gibsongaz008/AD2_zps23ac5d55.jpeg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/gibsongaz/gibsongaz008/AD4_zpsef6242ff.jpeg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/gibsongaz/gibsongaz008/AD3_zpsc7104f9f.jpeg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/gibsongaz/gibsongaz008/AD5_zps66688e1f.jpeg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• pics?
  • ParkerParker Frets: 961
    On route - sadly Photobucket is just getting sh#tter and sh#tter!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bump
    edited October 2014
    Bump 
    edited October 2014

Bump

Bump!
    edited October 2014
    Don't be put off by the Ashdown name - Its a UK handmade boutique amp designed by Dave Green and used extensively by the band Embrace for less than a used Vox AC30, Fender Twin or Orange.

Some kid won it on Evilbay, but cant afford to pay!

Not so fussed about a sale necessarily and open to trades. Ideally looking for something smaller to save my back at gigs - this is british quality built like a tank!

WHY?

Bump
    edited October 2014

Here it is making an appearance at a large festival gig with Embrace in 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lco6AGD-FjE

Bump
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4308
    edited October 2014
    Parker;362488" said:
    Don't be put off by the Ashdown name - Its a UK handmade boutique amp designed by Dave Green and used extensively by the band Embrace for less than a used Vox AC30, Fender Twin or Orange.
    Was more put off by the Embrace name. That poor amps taken a hammering of musical dross

Have a free bump though ;)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    lol!
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    What sort of value are we talking? Sorry if it says in thread, I haven't got me specs with me
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

usedtobe;394205" said:
    What sort of value are we talking? Sorry if it says in thread, I haven't got me specs with me
    PM'd fella
  • Do you have a sale price?
  • Quick question: what does the script at the bottom say? I can make out 'Speak Easy 8-28...' but I can't see the rest.
    I'll double check when I get home, but 'Tube Amplifier' IIRC.
  • Now I see it ;-) Tube Rectifier
    edited November 2014

Here is a bit more info:

Variable Class A/Class AB performance makes the Speakeasy 8-28 a very special guitar amplifier indeed. Ranging from 8 to 28 Watts, it enables the player to set up the amplifier precisely for optimum sweetness of tone, either in the recording studio or on stage.

With a standard output tube configuration of four 6CA7s (mine is currently 6L6 config), the Speakeasy 8-28 features a spring reverb, variable British/US voicing and a master volume defeat, with facilities for footswitching reverb, voice in/out and master volume.

Triode/Pentode switching and the facility to experiment with tube configurations further enhance the Speakeasy's extraordinary range of clean and creamy, high-gain sounds. Try 6V6s or EL34s in the output stage if you want more power or change the ECC83 (12AX7) preamp tubes for ECC81s to reduce the gain if you’re using high output pick-ups.

Facilities include gain, master volume, reverb, treble, middle, bass and presence controls, effects loop and impedance switching. Standard speakers are a pair of Celestion 12 inch Vintage 30s (mine now has Celestion Neos!) , but again, with the Speakeasy, the choice is yours.

Specifications:

• Power: 8 - 28 Watts
    • Speaker: 2 x 12"
    • Standard output tubes: 4 x 6L6
    • Alternative output tubes: EL34/6L6/KT88
    • Standard preamp tubes: 3 X ECC83 (12AX7)
    • Alternative preamp tubes: ECC81
    • Dimensions (HxWxD mm): 500 X 690 X 290
    • Dimensions (HxWxD inches): 19.7 X 27.2 X 11.4
    • Weight: 33.4KG/73.5lbs (The Neos have reduced this to below 30 now)
    • Mains Voltage: 120V/240V