Guild or Alvarez

What's Hot
Hello, I'm hoping to get some advice on Guild and Alvarez guitars. I'm looking to buy either a Guild OM-260CE Deluxe Burl or a Alvarez Artist Elite AGE95CESHB Grand Auditorium. I'm a beginner level and prefer to finger then use a plek. I've consider a Faith Venus naked but have filtered the list down to two guitars over the last few months. Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12543
    As always on this board I’m going to suggest something else!  I have a guild 140om which is the level above the 260. 

There is one on this board second hand for the price of a new 260. 

Otherwise the guild I have is well built and plays great. I’ve tried s couple of Alvarez which seemed fine. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5438
    Usual advice applies - if at all possible, find somewhere that you can play both. Ideally back to back, but if not, then at least have a crack at both of them in the flesh, as it's the intangibles and bits you don't get from paper that make a guitar better/worse for you as an individual at the end of the day (unless it just really is a shit guitar, but that's unlikely with either of those).

And as @munckee says, you'll get more for your money secondhand ...
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3889
    Not played a Guild but liked the Alvarez I tried when I was looking but in the end I ended up buying a Venus. What was it about the Venus that made you cross it off your list?

as @Snags says go out and play as many as you can; there’s so many variables but something will call out to you for some intangible reason. That may be neck shape, tone or whatever but only you will know, we all have our own experience and preferences but only you can choose what’s right for you. 
  • MellishMellish Frets: 950
    Basically, what's been said.  

We can tell you what *we* think but *you're* the one who will own it, play it and it's what *you* think that matters. 

So seek them out, try 'em and trust your own judgement. You'll know if you find one you like :) 

• TanninTannin Frets: 5636
    munckee said:
    As always on this board I’m going to suggest something else!  
    You do know that actually answering the actual question the OP actually asked is a banning offence, don't you?

(I haven't played either one, but both makes have decent reputations. I like the notion of the second-hand Guild. If I read the spec sheet correctly, the OM-260 has laminate back and sides, where the 140 is all-solid in Khaya. So you would be swapping striking cosmetic appearance for the sound of actual real timber. Good move. The Alvarez is another laminate guitar which, like the Guild 260, substitutes a superficially attractive exotic top layer of laminate for the better sound quality of solid wood. As I said, haven't played either, but on paper the 140 is the pick of the bunch.)

• PALPAL Frets: 560
    Best thing is don't go by the name on the headstock. Just go somewhere and try lots of guitars out and just take your time until you find the a guitar that feels right for you.
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 246
    I've never played a bad Guild but I've never played an Alvarez. However, in the recordings on YouTube I've found the Alvarez a bit bright for my taste. But it's horses for courses.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5636
    So .;.. you've never played a bad Alvarez. :)

In the same vein, I have never played a good Collings. :)

• TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 246
    Pity antipodean. I'm not English but I can read it.