Optimum dimensions for a 1x12 open (or) ported back speaker cab

jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 888
edited August 2022 in Making & Modding
If I were to commission a 1×12 speaker cab made of pine or birch ply, what would be the ideal internal dimensions please?

I understand that rather than the absolute dimensions, the relationship between length width and depth is more relevant, would that be true?

Happy to change Speakers, but my current one is a Celestion G12-65, and I do like it.

Preferred Sounds:
Fender Blackface Cleans
Dumble Overdrive

Expert opinions deeply appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Perfection doesn’t exist, ergo choose a size big enough to fit any heads that you might consider in future, and still comfortable enough to move around with ease. For me, the Zilla Fatbaby is pretty ideal as a 112.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7427
    edited August 2022
    You could check out the Thiele Small parameter method for defining enclosure size and bass response. 

https://www.micka.de/en/

but doesn’t guarantee a good design

https://celestion.com/blog/thinking-of-using-thiele-small-parameters-to-design-a-guitar-speaker-cab-think/

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74484
    What guitargeek62 said. There are no optimum dimensions for guitar cabs, only different ones.

Either pick a favourite cabinet and copy that, or make one the size you need to fit the head on top neatly... that's what all the other makers do .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 500
    These a nice design floating around online for a ported 1x12 thiele cab which is similat to one Mesa made.  I think Larry Carlton used one with a dumble 

I made one and it has lots of bottom end punch for a 1x12.  
    Meant to add.  Cab dimensions depend on the speaker parameters.  Mine was based on the EV12M and I used the nearest speaker I could find. 
    edited August 2022

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    The lord stated the dimensions that would produce the holy guitar sound and the dimensions were to be 65 Cubits x 19 Furlongs x 10 Leagues.

And the lord looked upon the cab and the lord was pleased.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 662
    And then Internet forums went into meltdown