SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

*STOLEN GEAR* Loads of Stolen Gear North London

What's Hot
2»

Comments

Service stations should do what what their name implies and offer a stopping point that is safe (and clean!) for all road users. 
    Seems more like a watering hole where the crocs are allowed to lie in wait ;-/

We don't know the specifics but what can you do?
    • Don't look like a muso
    • Don't reveal what's in the van, if you can help it
    • Cover everything with black 'throws' (thanks Dunelm)
    • Leave someone with the gear who will fight to the death
    • Frequent somewhere more secure (smaller services, line of sight, etc)
    • ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13304
    Hope you get your gear back.

Good idea to post here, I swear some people on here know every guitar on sale anywhere in the UK!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • pluckbuddypluckbuddy Frets: 327
    prudd said:
    CCTV in this country is a contraction. On the one hand the libertarians complain that we live in overly surveilled public places and that our right to privacy is under threat.

And yet cctv, at least owned by private businesses, is usually poor quality and difficult to access. I think most just see it as a deterrent more than a way of catching the sh*tbags that do this sort of thing. 

Service stations should do what what their name implies and offer a stopping point that is safe (and clean!) for all road users. 

At my previous job we had a spate of van break ins over night for a while, CCTV clearly showed the culprits (scumbags), Police were given the evidence, never got a single stolen item back, despite them allegedly being aware of the scum, probably to afraid to take it further as they were worried about being dubbed as un PC seeing as how the scum was part of a minority group.

Unlikely that police would be motivated by that in my view. They would charge anyone and everyone if they could to improve their detection rates.

More likely that they don't have time to investigate properly over other offences that result in more immediate risk of harm (domestic abuse, child abuse), or despite the evidence they didn't realistically think they could get a charge or a conviction for some reason. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prudd said:
    CCTV in this country is a contraction. On the one hand the libertarians complain that we live in overly surveilled public places and that our right to privacy is under threat.

And yet cctv, at least owned by private businesses, is usually poor quality and difficult to access. I think most just see it as a deterrent more than a way of catching the sh*tbags that do this sort of thing. 

At my previous job we had a spate of van break ins over night for a while, CCTV clearly showed the culprits (scumbags), Police were given the evidence, never got a single stolen item back, despite them allegedly being aware of the scum, probably to afraid to take it further as they were worried about being dubbed as un PC seeing as how the scum was part of a minority group.

Unlikely that police would be motivated by that in my view. They would charge anyone and everyone if they could to improve their detection rates.

More likely that they don't have time to investigate properly over other offences that result in more immediate risk of harm (domestic abuse, child abuse), or despite the evidence they didn't realistically think they could get a charge or a conviction for some reason. 
    Yes, quite.

Don't drag everyone into the whole 'Woke PC' Daily Mail frothery. I know it's easy to on an internet forum.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prudd said:

Yeah, play that card rather than the massively slashed public services. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Bumping this. It's been a little while so most hope is lost but still clinging on.