Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Dire Straits.

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 5045
    There has been quite a lot of criticism of Dire Straits and   Mark Knopfler in this thread.  I think it is time to look at DS and MK in context.  And to applaud their contribution to music and guitar playing.

I first heard of a band called Dire Straits in an article in International Musician sometime in the mid 1970s.  And they had recorded and released an album.  I ordered the album, through the local music shop, and have been a fan of DS and MK since then.  It is relevant to point out that that happened nearly fifty years ago.  I quickly saw that DS had their own sound, that MK had a 'different' way of playing guitar and that he was a very good song writer.  He was a story teller that happened to tell his stories through music, augmented by his superb guitar playing.  The other band members had an easy ride as it appears that MK wrote the songs, arranged them and sang them.  Playing sideman in DS really amounts to getting 'Money for Nothing'.

Every band has it's natural life span, Dire Straits lasted longer than most.  AC/DC and The Rolling Stones and a few others survived since bursting on the scene in the 1960s but Dire Straits can be proud of the duration of their innings.  After DS, Mark had a number of guest appearances on records: Willie deVille, Phil Lynott, the music score for the film Cal etc. etc.  But he never lost his ability to write a good song.  His later songs do not sound like Dire Straits but they are more that able to stand on their own feet.

Someone here criticized Dire Straits for not employing warm up bands.  The last concert I went to was to see/hear John Fogerty play the O2 arena in Dublin.  On the bill were two warm up bands, one was Mary Coughlan.  But I, and most everyone else, went to see John Fogerty and we stayed in the lounge/bar area until he was scheduled to appear.  People who went to see Dire Straits, only go to see that band and are usually not interested in the warm up acts.

My parting shot is to remember that Dire Straits were formed almost fifty years ago.  Mark Knopfler is a superb guitarists/songwriter and he is still strutting his stuff.  It may not be as exciting as it was in DS days but it is unrealistic to expect this after such a long time playing music.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    Our band in the late 1970s was called Desperate Straights, arrival of Dire Straits kind of torpedoed that as a concept ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ParkerParker Frets: 961
    I have never seen them live and perhaps they are a ‘live’ band. But excitement and Dire Straits does sound a bit of an oxymoron when I hear their recorded music and read John’s memoirs! Queen are the sort of band synonymous with excitement - live and off stage. They had a guy who laid in a plate of raw meats and giggled when people came near….that’s how you party! Dire Straits would probably rip up the stage at the British Standard’s Annual Health and Safety Ball I reckon, but I struggle to see how they’d fair on todays music scene. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9868
    edited September 2022
    Jalapeno said:
    Our band in the late 1970s was called Desperate Straights, arrival of Dire Straits kind of torpedoed that as a concept !
    Ah yes. I seem to recall three London bands around that time called Dire Straits, Desperate Straights, plus one other with a similar name which won’t come to me right now - I suspect Dire something or other. Did you have a bass player called Phil by any chance?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10444

Well worth a watch for those who haven't already seen it. He comes across as a really genuine, decent guy.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • randellarandella Frets: 4399
    This is a lovely little interlude - two Geordies up at the Spanish City having a look around. Apparently one of them wrote a song about it ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    HAL9000 said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Our band in the late 1970s was called Desperate Straights, arrival of Dire Straits kind of torpedoed that as a concept !
    Ah yes. I seem to recall three London bands around that time called Dire Straits, Desperate Straights, plus one other with a similar name which won’t come to me right now - I suspect Dire something or other. Did you have a bass player called Phil by any chance?
    No, we were the Herts based Desperate Straights ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11548
    pigface said:
    I was doing my basic training in the army when I first heard 'Sultans of Swing'. I really thought it was Dylan with a hot guitarist.
    Knopfler did play on Dylan's Slow Train Coming album.

• PjonPjon Frets: 314
    Rocker said:

Someone here criticized Dire Straits for not employing warm up bands.  The last concert I went to was to see/hear John Fogerty play the O2 arena in Dublin.  On the bill were two warm up bands, one was Mary Coughlan.  But I, and most everyone else, went to see John Fogerty and we stayed in the lounge/bar area until he was scheduled to appear.  People who went to see Dire Straits, only go to see that band and are usually not interested in the warm up acts.

Slightly the other way around but this sort of reinforces your point..

I saw David Bowie in what is now the Motorpoint Arena in the mid 90s. It was that point in his career where nobody cared what he did, and the arena was quite empty.

It was even emptier after the support act - someone called Morrisey, don't know what happened to him - had finished, because half the crowd disappeared. They had no interest in staying for Bowie having seen their hero. 

• Rocker said:
    The other band members had an easy ride as it appears that MK wrote the songs, arranged them and sang them.  Playing sideman in DS really amounts to getting 'Money for Nothing'.
    Like those slackers in The Who.
  • Hahaha I get it lol
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

Or just get Alchemy.
    Best version of Sultans of Swing, made even better by watching the performance.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2515
    Hahaha I get it lol

:heart: