The Art of Drumming

What's Hot
Anybody else watching this 4 part series on Sky Arts? I love it. The history of drumming is really interesting. Respect for drummers. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BodBod Frets: 1315
    Just watching episode 2 now.  It's really good.  Think this is a re-run though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1952
    Bod said:
    Just watching episode 2 now.  It's really good.  Think this is a re-run though.
    Yes I think it is. I remember seeing some of this stuff before but maybe not this series. There's drummers and there's drummers. Some are one offs. I know now why some of my favourite bands were my favourite bands growing up and it wasn't always because of the guitar player. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2976

There's drummers and there's drummers. 
    ...and then there is Pierre Moerlen.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • The series has been aired several times.

The thing that I like most about the content is seeing how the best drummers manage to get a huge sound out the kit with, seemingly, minimal physical effort.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    The Ginger Baker bit is priceless....

"Moony, nah, not even close to me...Bonham...nowhere near my ability.....we wuz a jazz band...."

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Yep ... great series. Drumming is a complete mystery to me so when it's broken down and explored in depth then you can clearly see/hear who are the dogs nads and who don't cut it.

I remember watching a documentary in the 80s featuring Billy Cobham and he was talking about the use of the 'lazy man's roll' in Jazz. Since that point I have been fascinated by the whole subject matter.

I find it astonishing how much sonic diversity some drummers can achieve from an instrument that isn't polyphonic :+1: 

• GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    The person that emerges as the best technician is Thomas Lang- and rightly so- he is a genius.

I loved Dave Weckl's musicality too. He is magnificent.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.