Open Pickup covers

What's Hot
Hey all,

I'm thinking of installing an open pickup cover on my dimarzio super distortions in my les paul. Such as these:

https://www.axesrus.co.uk/Open-Frame-Humbucker-Cover-German-Silver-p/lpc015open.htm

Am i right in thinking they can simply be soldered on or will they need potting? Has anyone had any experience of doing this?

Any info appreciated, thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8078
    Just soldered on. If anything you will be removing wax from the existing pickup, hairdryer (not too hot) and some lighter fluid should do it.

Imo the open covers may look quite "not classic" with the pickup ring though. You will get some nice extra treble bite though depending on what the current covers are made of.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    I just put an open cover on a pickup, just soldered it in place. I'm a fan of the look in the right context. I was of the mind that potting or otherwise preventing vibration wouldn't be as big a deal as on full covers, since the biggest flat expanse of metal that might resonate isn't there in open covers.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15264
    dimarzio super distortions … les paul. 
    What colour are the DiMarzio bobbins?
    What colour is the Les Paul?
    Is it a Custom, Deluxe, Standard or some other variant?

IMO, adding open topped covers to previously open bobbined DiMarzio humbuckers would devalue them.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • dimarzio super distortions … les paul. 
    What colour are the DiMarzio bobbins?
    What colour is the Les Paul?
    Is it a Custom, Deluxe, Standard or some other variant?

IMO, adding open topped covers to previously open bobbined DiMarzio humbuckers would devalue them.
    Cream, Goldtop and 2017 Classic T so they're replacement pups so i'm not too concerned about loss of value.
  • Cream pickups, in cream surrounds, on a Goldtop. Why mess with perfection?  :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have one on a Strat where the coils were a little too high for comfort (as in get damaged) and a full cover muffled the sound too much. IIRC it's just soldered into place with no additional potting.