Hifi question; opinions on half speed mastering vinyl reissues

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Frankly, I had an excellent vinyl set up and bought into the "vinyl is better" mantra. Frankly, I rip CDs to FLAC and the FLAC is clearly better and my system is no slouch. Listen to the music not the medium is my advice.
    Depends.  My system is also rather excellent (I have two hifi’s). For older recordings, vinyl is usually better.  

For modern recordings, digital is better.  Horses for courses. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well, as the OP, I see the thread has answered pretty much  my question as to whether it’s worth shelling out on half speed remasters. ( I won’t be in any rush, but might try one or two sometime).

I enjoy both Digital and Vinyl formats, and I can believe FLAC is awesome, but do I need a third format ?

I do wish someone could comment on the Beatles mono vinyl set, vs CD mono set…

And, whilst I’m at it, can any hifi buffs comment on whether you get better sound from a high end turntable ?
    ( vs a decent classic deck).  Thanks

• PennPenn Frets: 679
    edited September 2022
    I don’t know if any of this counts as
    high end. It’s probably more classic entry level but I’ve had:

Dual 505 with a Grado cart
    Project Debut 2 with an OM cart
    New current model Rega P3 with Elys recently upgraded to an exact 

The Rega sounds the best by a mile. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • As has already been said: it’s extremely hit and miss. It’s also a good way to get people to pay more for a ‘rejuvenated’ format. Don’t believe the hype.