Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Blackstar AMPED 1 - amp in a pedal

What's Hot
GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4174
edited September 2022 in Amps
So Blackstar hasn't actually announced this product yet. But a google search shows that the manual is already uploaded to the site.

So if you want to have a gander here it is.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Looks interesting
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1667
    Interesting but that pdf is worrying? Blackstar used to produce very well laid out user manuals. That looks like a typical "Behringer" one sheet "quick start guide".

I also cannot immediately see any power rating for the speaker outs and what IG'sN made them make it 8 Ohms minimum?

I hope I am wrong but it looks like a bit of re-badged Chinese tat.

Dave.
  • The link I sent is to a Quick Start Guide. There is also a link on the page to a handbook, but that doesn't seem to be active yet. 

• Looks like a great concept to me. Its almost exactly what I'd be after.

Not sure why they did the Dept10 and then this. 
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1425
    edited September 2022
    My first thought on seeing that PDF was ... wow..that's actually pretty concise- even a complete numpty like me could get that thing up set up and running into a mixer / PA in 2 minutes. 

Seems a great user interface (KISS principle) - recommended settings are a Fender clean with a VOX crunch?
    Blackstar want some of that Iridium action ..?
    I'm guessing £279 -ish street price? 
    I wonder how much of the tech is borrowed from the St. James amps -  cab emulations and the like?

To me it seems an easier way of going direct (with a few pedals) rather than the Helix etc.. route...
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • GazAus said:
    Looks like a great concept to me. Its almost exactly what I'd be after.

Not sure why they did the Dept10 and then this. 
    Dept 10 a preamp pedal. This includes the power amp. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73033
    ecc83 said:

I also cannot immediately see any power rating for the speaker outs and what IG'sN made them make it 8 Ohms minimum?
    It claims to be 100W RMS. (Printed on the back panel.)

To be fair, 4-ohm guitar - as opposed to bass - cabinets are pretty rare, and if they made it 100W into 4 that unnecessarily limits it into 8 and 16.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• In typical Blackstar fashion, this looks like a well thought out piece of kit but if the sounds from the Dept 10/Cab Rig combination is anything to go by, it will leave a lot to be desired in the actual tone dept. (no pun intended, maybe a little)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    ecc83 said:

It claims to be 100W RMS. (Printed on the back panel.)

To be fair, 4-ohm guitar - as opposed to bass - cabinets are pretty rare, and if they made it 100W into 4 that unnecessarily limits it into 8 and 16.

Ah! 'King eyes! The standard Marshall/Bstar 4x 12 can be 4 Ohms IC and peeps might want to use it as a backup amp to a solid stater with a 4R belter?

I am ok with the rating really but only if it is truly bomb proof into a lower Z. Probably is because the IDs seem to be pretty reliable.

No doubt we shall al know all in the fullness.

Dave.
  • ecc83 said:
    Interesting but that pdf is worrying? Blackstar used to produce very well laid out user manuals. That looks like a typical "Behringer" one sheet "quick start guide".

Dave.
    I did have a chuckle at the second image and sub-text being "Plug your guitar into the IN socket." whereas the picture clearly shows the jack going into the "Loop" socket :mrgreen: 

This does look like a nicely thought-out pedal though, with a lot of things that people have been looking for in simple pedalboard-based rigs. If the pricing's right and the tone isn't awful then they should sell a fair few of these.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8573
    ecc83 said:

Dave.
    I did have a chuckle at the second image and sub-text being "Plug your guitar into the IN socket." whereas the picture clearly shows the jack going into the "Loop" socket :mrgreen: 

This does look like a nicely thought-out pedal though, with a lot of things that people have been looking for in simple pedalboard-based rigs. If the pricing's right and the tone isn't awful then they should sell a fair few of these.
    You should write their copy.

“Blackstar: the tone isn’t awful”

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well tbh @dindude, that is pretty much my experience of them!
    “Blackstar: the tone isn’t awful”
    Y'know, I don't think the good people who founded Blackstar would be too put out by that!
    I believe they set out to make good, solid, reliable amplifiers and pedals at sensible prices. OK, not super budget because they contain a lot of 'over engineering' that prevents collateral damage when OP valves fail.
    They have innovated. ISF (whatever some think of it!) and the clever power control system for the Series Ones. Also the use of solid state devices where THEY DON'T IMPACT THE SOUND but are quieter than valves, cheaper, Greener and last forever. They got a lot of stick for that.

The fact is, if you work for a very large company and come up with a good idea you get FA for it.

I DO hope this latest offering is better than my first impressions lead me to believe?

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12722
    I can’t say anything about it, obvs.
    But it’s genuinely my favourite thing Blackstar have ever made.
    Haters gonna hate and all that. 
    I’ll go back to my holiday now.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12722
    ecc83 said:

Dave.
    Dave - it definitely isn’t re-badged Chinese tat. That’s incredibly unfair and somewhat unkind and based on a PDF that actually hasn’t been officially released. This has been Totally designed, voiced and developed by the team in Northampton.
    As for manuals - very few produce paper manuals these days. I’m sure there will be an in-depth guide in due course that will be available to download.
    Perhaps reserve judgement on it once you hear it, eh?

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• I’m looking forward to hearing it. Looks like a cool product to me. 

• smigeonsmigeon Frets: 293
    I've not looked at the available info in much detail, but I'm thinking it looks like a competitor to the Milkman "The Amp" and the BluGuitar thing. I've just recently got myself a Milkman and I'm loving it. If the Blackstar unit has similar facilities/flexibility (it actually seems to have more) AND it sounds as good AND the price is right (of course), then it would be a product I can imagine a lot of my musical acquaintances being very interested in...
    impmann said:
    ecc83 said:

Dave.
    Dave - it definitely isn’t re-badged Chinese tat. That’s incredibly unfair and somewhat unkind and based on a PDF that actually hasn’t been officially released. This has been Totally designed, voiced and developed by the team in Northampton.
    As for manuals - very few produce paper manuals these days. I’m sure there will be an in-depth guide in due course that will be available to download.
    Perhaps reserve judgement on it once you hear it, eh?

Well I got your attention! I have been in consumer electronics a very long time and have seen all sorts of great names 'sell out'. The .pdf did disturb me. Some quite expensive audio kit gets one of these fold out horrors, often companies who used to produce decent manuals in the past.

I also have no objection to a FULL manual, as well written as all your others being solely available as a download*, as you say, common practice now and saves money, energy and paper.
    There would be no point in ME listening to one. Old hands there will tell you why...hint: I have just got my new set of digital aids! LOVE to have a play with one mind.

*And by 'download' I mean a quick access click. Many firms make getting a book a ten minute process. If I cannot get a decently written book in one minute I don't even consider buying the product.

Dave.
  • impmann said:
    Could this be the thing? 

I love my Artisan 30 but my back doesn't. 
    relic245 said:
    impmann said:
    Could this be the thing? 

I love my Artisan 30 but my back doesn't. 

Like I said...overengineering!

Dave.