Turning a 2019 Gibson SG Special into a "1963" Gibson SG Special

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• What a fantastic result! Your original budget wouldn't get you anywhere close at today's prices, so great timing too. 

I can thoroughly recommend Mono gig bags if you want to protect your guitar from drunks on buses. My Gibson hard cases normally stay at home these days, as the Mono cases are more convenient, and I suspect more protective in most situations.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bad_alice said:
    roberty said:
    Superb. The tuners look great
    JCA2550 said:
    Gorgeous 
    That is really something…!
    That's awesome.  Great work!
    Thanks guys, that's all such lovely feedback to hear and very much appreciated, I assure you. Again, I can't take any credit for the execution - that was all @Iamf68 - and I have to agree with all of you, he did an incredible job!
    Oh of course! I have a Jag that Rich did and it's a fantastic bit of work. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    edited September 2022
    This is awesome!

I have a 2016 Studio Faded that I bought new and still absolutely love. When the 2019 Specials came out, I was desperate for one in the Pelham Blue but I couldn’t really justify it as I’m a very basic player at home. I ended up buying some Alegree HB sized P90s and had a guy in Lennoxtown fit them for me.

Your SG looks amazing and must sound awesome. Nice work!!

Also, totally recommend the Mono gig bags. I’ve carted my SG around in one of those a lot and it’s perfect. Built like a tank and fits the guitar well with the neck support.

Andy
  • What a fantastic result! Your original budget wouldn't get you anywhere close at today's prices, so great timing too. 

I can thoroughly recommend Mono gig bags if you want to protect your guitar from drunks on buses. My Gibson hard cases normally stay at home these days, as the Mono cases are more convenient, and I suspect more protective in most situations.
    andyp said:
    This is awesome!

I have a 2016 Studio Faded that I bought new and still absolutely love. When the 2019 Specials came out, I was desperate for one in the Pelham Blue but I couldn’t really justify it as I’m a very basic player at home. I ended up buying some Alegree HB sized P90s and had a guy in Lennoxtown fit them for me.

Your SG looks amazing and must sound awesome. Nice work!!

Also, totally recommend the Mono gig bags. I’ve carted my SG around in one of those a lot and it’s perfect. Built like a tank and fits the guitar well with the neck support.

Andy
    Thanks so much @ElectricXII and @andyp for the comments and I couldn't agree more where Mono gig bags are concerned. I bought a Mono M80 about a year ago and it's been a game changer for me where feeling relaxed about taking guitars with angled headstocks with me to rehearsal etc. My situation is thus:
    1. I don't drive so Public transport is how I roll.
    2. I'm female and really not very strong so the additional weight a hard case brings is something I'd really prefer to avoid.
    3. Currently 3 of my 4 electric guitars - this SG, a Gibson LP Standard and a Gretsch Players Edition Sparkle Jet - have angled headstocks. 
    The Mono gigbag has been such a enabling factor where these three guitars are concerned.  Rather than knacker myself by hauling hardcases and the rest of gear out with me, the Mono offers an option that's much lighter in weight, easier to carry and, honestly,  that it doesn't yell "HEY FOLKS, LADY CARRYING AN EXPENSIVE GUITAR HERE!!!" is a massive plus too. #personalsafety
    That said, and as great as they are, I'm still waiting on the Mono gigbag with the inbuilt cafetiere option 'cause Mono? That's a open goal of such a magnitude that there are rumours that it may well have stolen "planet" status from Pluto...
    :)

Easily distracted and...oooh, look! A guitar!"
    My Trading Feedback can be found here: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/62765/bad-alice/p1
  • bad_alicebad_alice Frets: 271
    Bump - just in case there's any info here that's of helpful to you guys?
    My Trading Feedback can be found here: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/62765/bad-alice/p1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JMS96JMS96 Frets: 150
    edited October 2022
    That looks absolutely awesome. I’ve just bought myself a 2019 SG special from here and I’m really loving it - brilliant guitar. But you’ve gone and totally ruined it for me. ;)
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2441
    That is gorgeous! 
    JMS96 said:
    That looks absolutely awesome. I’ve just bought myself a 2019 SG special from here and I’m really loving it - brilliant guitar. But you’ve gone and totally ruined it for me. ;)
    Cheers mate and lol, sorry about that!
    This model is a terrific guitar regardless though. I was just lucky enough to have some spare cash to enable this project - so I'm certain you and your SG Special will be glorious together. <fist bump>
    Sarge said:
    That is gorgeous! 
    Thanks @Sarge ; that's lovely of you to say. A much appreciated post too.
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 500
    Yep - love it.   Thats a very nice SG 
  • PeteC said:
    Yep - love it.   Thats a very nice SG 
    Sorry @PeteC - I somehow missed this!
    Thanks so much for such a lovely comment - much appreciated too.
    Long story short: as lovely as this guitar is, we didn't bond #happens
    It was traded to a friend who's now putting it up for sale on FB so, if you're interested and can't find it on FB or don't engage with that app, then message me here and I'll be happy to pass on your details.