Islington

What's Hot
What's Islington like for parking ? Any places to use or avoid?
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Anyone know the area?
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Parking ....... :-)

What day of the week and time of day are you going? Street or NCP?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    Fair bit just north of Angel.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited September 2014
    I know it well and it's real a real pig of a place to park.  Islington council is one of the most unaccommodating councils in London.  It obviously does depend greatly on time and place but a hell of a lot of Islington is permit holders or visitor permit parking only.  If you HAD to go there by car and didn't know it really well (or were visiting someone who does) it would undoubtedly be cheaper and safer to head to a car park.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • "Hilarious" would be the word I'd use...

IIRC I've parked on Islington Park St a couple of times (for gigging at the Hope & Anchor) but it was always hell finding a space around 6pm.

Tbh if I had to give any other advice the top of the list would be "don't try and park in Islington"
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • That's what I have told a friend, but she has to go to Business developement Center, and it's £3-10 an hour.
  • Trouble is, she needs to be there most of the day? Park all day down here for £3 or so!
  • Any option of parking elsewhere and tubing in? 

Westfield Stratford City (i.e. next to the Olympic Park) is only £5 for the whole day on weekdays. Not useful if coming from the west but a good option if coming from Norfolk!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I parked at Hounslow West all day on Tuesday for £5.20, then got the tube into the centre. Dead easy and loads of spaces (got there about lunch time)

• Have you tried looking on www.justpark.com?  You get people (especially in congested London areas) leasing out their drives for around £12 a day which would probably work out the cheapest option.  I live in Wimbledon so a lot of people use it in the tennis season.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Have you tried looking on www.justpark.com?  You get people (especially in congested London areas) leasing out their drives for around £12 a day which would probably work out the cheapest option.  I live in Wimbledon so a lot of people use it in the tennis season.

Great idea, thanks for that.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    Why not train?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• She's taking a load of gear up and parcels, may also need to bring some stuff back. I did ask that, as every time I go up I park at the Old Deer car park near Richmond and walk through to tube station. Easy for me to get back out onto 316 and M3 that way.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    The only sensible way around London is a pushbike. Parking in Islington is hell on earth.
  • Evilmags said:
    The only sensible way is to avoid London. Islington is hell on earth.
    edited for accuracy
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Nah Islington is awesome. Many moons ago I bought a house there, when such things were affordable. It was totally fucked but had 5 stories and a 90ft garden. I spent a year putting it right and lived in it for 15 years. Then Gordon Brown, the Labour chancellor, pumped vast sums into Labour boroughs and the interest rate changed structurally. Now the house is worth a lot more than it costs and generates enough income to live off and do what I want. While the capital appreciated another 12% this year. As half the world wants to come to London and Islington is very central and walking distance to City, it is likely to stay that way. Especially as the council pours so much cash into the housing market. Not many parts of the UK can make that claim.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom